But Where have I been?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Garjenkins

Im looking to do my first tour this year and Ive been given some good advice already.

I know where im going (London - Sth Wales) but not how Im going to get there.

I dont want a sat nav to tell me where to go but I do want a device that can log where Ive been at the end of the trip so that I can look back at the end and see the route I took

Id there such a device or is breadcrumbs the real answer.

Help

nigelb

OP
OP
G

Garjenkins

Thanks Nige, being somewhat of techno numbnut reading it I cant quite understand what it is it does and how it works!

What I ideally want is something i just take with me then plug it in at the end... and then , like witchcraft..... it shows me where its been.

This one looks like you may have to turn it on sporadically or use a camera or what have you....maybe ive misunderstood

I think I may have been watching too many programmes like 24.

Anyone used anything like this before?

andrew_s

Legendary Member
I'd recommend that you get a Garmin Etrex Legend HCx, put OpenStreetMaps on a card and set it to log data to the card. It can do automatic navigation, but you don't need to use it.
It will give you a small moving map display that can avoid having to stop so often to read a paper map, and will log everything to the data card - enough to hold a year's riding if you get a 1GB card and use the default settings.
When you get home, you plug it in the PC and download the data - one GPX file per day (eg 20100121.gpx). The files can be imported into MemoryMap or whatever, or into various online mapping sites such as bikely.

OP
OP
G

Garjenkins

Where Have I been? Route Logger?

Im looking to do my first tour this year and Ive been given some good advice already.

I know where im going (London - Sth Wales) but not how Im going to get there.

I dont want a sat nav to tell me where to go but I do want a device that can log where Ive been at the end of the trip so that I can look back at the end and see the route I took

Id there such a device or is breadcrumbs the real answer.

Help (also, I will not understand 90% of any technical phrases used..I use and abacus and chalk and slate usually)

nigelb

Garjenkins said:
Thanks Nige, being somewhat of techno numbnut reading it I cant quite understand what it is it does and how it works!

What I ideally want is something i just take with me then plug it in at the end... and then , like witchcraft..... it shows me where its been.

This one looks like you may have to turn it on sporadically or use a camera or what have you....maybe ive misunderstood

I think I may have been watching too many programmes like 24.

Anyone used anything like this before?

I looked at their page, and it is confusing - email them directly?
What it appears to be is a usb dongle that has GPS and a logger built in, inc memory, so it just records where it is, say every 5 minutes. At the end of the day you plug it into your laptop, and grab the file. (I'm assuming that you'll have a laptop).

You do need to consider how often you want to record your location, and how often you will be able to download the route - ask them how long it will record for, both in terms of availablememory, and battery life.

I quite understand what you mean about satnav, can be a great tool, but can also be intrusive.

Nige

OP
OP
G

Garjenkins

That sounds pretty perfect - I will find out more.

Again, cheers Nige.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
If you are going to be taking a mobile then you could try getting a bluetooth gps and using a programme like Trekbuddy. This would create a file you could add to google earth or bikehike etc showing your route. I've used this programme for walking but only a few hours at a time not days. Over an extended time you may need to recharge the phone & gps.

amos

You could of course build your own GPS, which logs straight to an SD card for about £40 (maybe less), if you needed I would flash the chip with the programme (otherwise you'd have to spend extra on getting the equipment to do so). All it would require would be a ready supply of batteries.

Top Bottom