Butted or Straight Gauge Spokes?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ride

Hi all,

I've been popping a spoke or two at the rate of 1 instance every 5 or so months on my commuter. I've been looking into having them replaced and have decided on DT Swiss Apline III spokes for the job. I've read up on the benefits of butted spokes and believe that this is what I need for my bike when fully loaded (22kg of bike/gear and 74 kg of me); also has disc brakes.

Before I take the plunge and ask for the order to be made I'd thought I'd check to see if there is a better or equivalent option worth considering instead.

Any comments or experiences with butted verses straight gauge spokes?
Any experience with DT Swiss spokes?

Thanks,

Ride

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
DTs are considered a very good make, along with Sapim. Butted spokes in general make stronger wheels, but there are, arguably, exceptions. Choices of hub and, particularly, rim are also important. A good quality build is essential.

amaferanga

Veteran
Any good quality spokes should be fine if the wheel is built by a competent wheel builder. I've used plain gauge and double butted DT spokes for touring in Africa, carrying luggage + several litres of water on horrendous roads and didn't pop a single spoke. I wouldn't get too hung up on triple butted spokes.

Top Bottom