Butter Substitute in Bread Maker

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ajax Bay

Guru
30g of butter gives 25g of fat. You'd need 28ml of oil (I use Rice Bran oil) - two tablespoons ish.
I just plonk a roughly 'right' amount in and don't bother to measure. Also add an egg instead of 40ml of water: that has 5g of fat.
"One average egg (58g) contains around 4.6g fat. . . . . Only a quarter of this is saturated fat, the type that raises cholesterol levels in the body."
https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/high-cholesterol/cholesterol-levels/

Last edited:

FishFright

More wheels than sense
I thought the theory that dietary fat put cholesterol up was recently debunked? Wish they would make up their mind. You don't know what's safe/healthy to eat these days! :laugh:

Debunked and rebunked on a regular basis it seems .

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
Flora plant based butter

flora-plant-based-butter.jpg

Its really excellent stuff, I use it to make cookies & flapjacks all the time. its still not a silver bullet however. Butter is butter and too much can still be unhealthy, but this butter is 'Healthier' than regular butters.

Alex321

Veteran
Flora plant based butter

View attachment 633411

Its really excellent stuff, I use it to make cookies & flapjacks all the time. its still not a silver bullet however. Butter is butter and too much can still be unhealthy, but this butter is 'Healthier' than regular butters.
It may be excellent stuff, but it is NOT butter, and they shouldn't be allowed to call it that.

You say "butter is butter" and you are quite right, but this simply isn't.

But almost indistinguishable from butter in terms of fat (77g per100g instead of 81g) and saturated fat content (49g instead of 51g).

OP
OP
JtB

JtB

Prepare a way for the Lord
Thanks all.

My breadmaker calls for 25g of butter, so I’ll substitute for about 23g of olive oil (which is what we have in the house).

Once a Wheeler

…always a wheeler
No matter what the recipes say (even bread and butter) I use this:
I have no cholesterol problems; but whether that is because of or in spite of, you will have to do your own research. Enjoy!

presta

Guru
I thought the theory that dietary fat put cholesterol up was recently debunked? Wish they would make up their mind. You don't know what's safe/healthy to eat these days! :laugh:
A reduction in exercise had a bigger effect on my cholesterol than an increase in fat intake, but to be fair, the change in exercise was bigger than the change in fat too.
1646180185270.png

PK99

Legendary Member
I’m looking to see if I can reduce my colesterol naturally and so I’m cutting out butter from my diet. Is there a healthier alternative to butter that I can use in my bread maker?

I returned to eating butter a number of years ago when the Haematology Consultant treating my blood cholesterol levels said that he and his family had reintroduced butter into their diet as genes plus dietary balance wrt fats were a far more significant driver of blood cholesterol than consumption of foods containing cholesterol.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Trouble with butter is it's too hard to spread (not a bread maker issue) if kept in the fridge and too soft if at room temperature.
The latter was less of an issue when the butter was kept in our larder, but that's now been repurposed as a 'utility room'. The temperatures 'modern' houses are kept by their occupants exacerbates their butter's meltiness (so they keep it in the fridge; so it's hard; so . . . . ). First world problems. Do you think Ukranians are currently using butter in their recipe for bread? Or indeed Russians?

Top Bottom