Butter Substitute in Bread Maker

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JtB

Prepare a way for the Lord
I’m looking to see if I can reduce my colesterol naturally and so I’m cutting out butter from my diet. Is there a healthier alternative to butter that I can use in my bread maker?

JohnHughes307

Über Member
We never use butter - a small amount of sunflower oil is fine.

OldShep

Über Member
Mrs Shep got a cholesterol warning from the medics and we both love butter. I started blending our butter with RiceBranOil. 250g butter to 80ml oil. Results in a butter that always spreads and she passed the next cholesterol test. Along with other dietary changes I must add.
I use around 15g of that in a 400g loaf.

cheys03

Veteran
250g butter to 80ml oil. Results in a butter that always spreads.
Excellent. Similar ration butter : oil to Lurpak Spreadable, though I think they use cheaper and less good? sunflower oil.

I’m another who uses olive oil in the bread, I can’t tell the difference in taste, but then maybe I’m not paying enough attention.. or it might be the skim of butter on top the bread anyway when it’s eaten.
I mainly use the olive oil out of laziness when preparing the ingredients, easier to pour a rough weight out the bottle on top the counter then dig in the fridge for the butter.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
Have a look at Vitalite Dairy Free, which I've been using for a few years. To me it tastes the same as Clover or other spreadables (not quite as rich but a good substitute), I think it is also sunflower based, and has 75% less saturated fat than butter. Not sure about cholesterol though

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Excellent. Similar ration butter : oil to Lurpak Spreadable, though I think they use cheaper and less good? sunflower oil.
Don't know about Lurpak but the Lidl and Tesco Imitations use Rapeseed oil not sunflower.

cheys03

Veteran
Don't know about Lurpak but the Lidl and Tesco Imitations use Rapeseed oil not sunflower.

You’re right! Thank you for the correction
I rescued this from the bin…

B81DC8E4-E29B-4618-8092-D9CF2A4050C9.jpeg

oldwheels

Legendary Member
The breadmaker I got yesterday specifies sunflower oil but I only have rapeseed oil in the house so will use that.
I only got the thing as hopefully an energy and therefore money saving device as the oven I normally use has got to be expensive to use for bread.

Alex321

Veteran
I use a breadmaker, and always use oil (normally sunflower oil). I don't think any of the recipes I have call for butter as an ingredient.

Reactions: JtB
Top Bottom