Spreadable butter alternative, can you suggest a nice one

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
As per title.
I have tried one and it was passable at best.
I want it a) to easily spread b) to taste like butter.
Or
Is there actually a true spreadable butter?

vickster

Legendary Member
Anchor? Lurpak?
President always used to be good if you like paler, lightly/unsalted variety.
Or get a block, a butter dish and leave it out :smile:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I've always thought of this 'spreadable,' thing as a marketing ploy. Can't think of a reason to want it, easy to get around by leaving butter out.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
What's wrong with proper butter kept in a dish outside the fridge?

Can't help but think all of these essentially synthetic alternatives are just another opportunity to pay a premium to potentially expose yourself to the next big food-related health scandal...

tom73

Guru
What's wrong with proper butter kept in a dish outside the fridge?

Can't help but think all of these essentially synthetic alternatives are just another opportunity to pay a premium to potentially expose yourself to the next big food-related health scandal...

Not to mention the environmental costs of some of them.

Sharky

Guru
Used to be Lurpak, but now Waitrose (Lighter/spreadable) own brand. There is a huge price difference and the taste is similar.

the_mikey

Legendary Member
I don't know about nice, since I rarely consume either butter or spread, in most cases butter contains more salt which is an effective flavour enhancement in itself, and the spreadable alternatives are usually made with various vegetable derived oils that can have a wide range of different flavours, none of which in themselves taste like butter. Either accept/embrace the flavour differences, or choose a spread with a flavour you enjoy. Personally I generally like oilve oil based spread, but again, I'm not comparing it to butter.

Last edited:
Top Bottom