Spreadable butter alternative, can you suggest a nice one

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alex321

Veteran
Everybody's tastes differ. Even the regular "block" butter varies in taste between the different suppliers, and so do their "spreadable" offerings.

My wife likes the Anchor spreadable, I prefer the Tesco own brand salted spreadable, which is closer to the Lurpak one.

We both used to prefer Krona until that disappeared from the market :sad:

But I would say generally look for the ones with the highest butter content (most are somewhere in the region of 70%, but it does vary by a % or two)

[EDIT] that should have said Milk Fat content. The butter content is typically 50%, not 70%.

Last edited:

Speicher

Vice Admiral
Used to be Lurpak, but now Waitrose (Lighter/spreadable) own brand. There is a huge price difference and the taste is similar.

I like Lurpak, and it is so lovely I am prepared to pay the extra. I will try your suggestion, thank you,

tom73

Guru
As dairy products have a product code which id's the dairy. Worth checking as many brands and own brands are the same product the codes are identical. Butter is butter after all.

Tenkaykev

Guru
Keep it in a proper butter dish with a lid - then keep it on the kitchen worktop - and it is very spreadable in summer
bit more difficult in winter but still better for you and cheaper

We have a scaled down butter dish which holds about 1/4 of a packet. It's very handy as we don't get through a great deal of butter so can cut off a chunk and put the rest back in the fridge.

Once a Wheeler

…always a wheeler
Goose fat with NOTHING added (no salt, no mammal fat):
640x640.jpg

I always use it wherever most people use butter, margarine or other spreads.
Spreads straight from the fridge, liquifies at room temperature.
Doctor is always very pleased with my cholesterol levels.
Some medically unauthenticated information here.
Flavour is unbeatable.

Last edited:
Tesco own brand here - either the Lurpak clone or the Anchor clone. They do taste different to each other, the Lurpak clone is smoother and creamier, the Anchor clone is more savoury. I tend to alternate between the two as I like them both, and they're the same price per kilo.

I keep block butter, but usually use it more for cooking with. I cannot keep butter out of the fridge as I have a cat that will do anything in her power to steal it.

There is NO alternative to real butter!!

I was somewhere once and they had "I can;t believe it's not butter"

we tried it and I could!!

my mother used to refer to such stuff as "axle grease"
mind you - her idea of Bread&butter was a crust of bread with most of a pack of butter on it!

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
What's wrong with proper butter kept in a dish outside the fridge?

Can't help but think all of these essentially synthetic alternatives are just another opportunity to pay a premium to potentially expose yourself to the next big food-related health scandal...

I've always been sceptical about spreads but I understand that since trans fats have been eliminated from spreads they can be ''healthier'' than butter as far as 'bad cholesterol'' is concerned. I listened to this butter v margarine discussion yesterday - https://link.chtbl.com/s9cwxMzY

Personally, as I only eat a very small amount of butter, I'm happy to continue to ignore the alternatives.

Top Bottom