Butterfly bars vs bar ends

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Thumb shifters and drop bars. Full Shimano Deore.
trek-950-on-shakedown.jpg

Bar tape, next.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
H bars, original style.
jones-h-bar-front-view.jpg

As for the Surly handlebars above, I don't see;
The advantage of the 2 protruding stubs at the front
The multitude of hand positions, especially with the supercool barbag in the middle.

For handlebars that are swept back I can't see how bar ends will be comfortable? It seems to me that your hands/wrists will be splayed open? Bar ends on straight bars seem more natural, to me.

I don't see the advantage of multiple hand positions. I see the advantage of being able to change my hand position, I just don't see the need to have multiple options.

When I tried out butterfly bars, I had to force myself to put my hands in different (to me) positions. On normal surfaces, my hands sat in pretty much the same place as on flats with bar ends. Off road, I was far less comfortable.

Of course, if you're doing 200 mile endurance cycles than your needs are different to mine. ^_^

I can't help but think that there are some very smart companies out there, utilising social media to convince people that there is something better for them out there than what they are already using.

These discussions can be a nice way to pass the winter when there's a lot less cycling going on, but I'm sure there are some people out there reading these threads and making a list of all the things they "need".

If I start to suffer discomfort while I'm riding the bike, I stop, have a coffee, sometimes a beer, maybe a tasty snack, maybe chat to some interesting people, but not the guy that tells me his drop bars are superior to my flats :tongue:.

If you don't like drops it's because you've never ridden a bike with drops that's been set up for you and/or used the wrong shape. Butterfly bars offer, what? Three different hand positions? Drops offer like 400.

If you don't like drops it's because you've never ridden a bike with drops that's been set up for you and/or used the wrong shape. Butterfly bars offer, what? Three different hand positions? Drops offer like 400.
No it's because I don't like drops. It is possible you know. Just as there are doubtless things that you personally don't like. I won't bother saying why I don't like them or we will be back into a very well worn rut.

shades of "let's go back to your childhood".

I'll leave it - I wouldn't be thanked by others for dragging the thread into that forever "debate".

tyred

Legendary Member
I did try Butterfly bars on one bike. I covered about 3,000 miles on them in total but never grew to love them. They weren't uncomfortable really but I could never find what felt like the best position for the shifter and the brakes and often moved them. I also found them wider than I like (I'm sure you can probably buy narrow versions too) and they were also quite flexible if you pulled on them on climbs.

I prefer straight bars and bar ends.

Top Bottom