Buy A Bell

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jimmy Doug

If you know what's good for you ...
I like bells. I love the way they make a friendly tinkle tinkle and yet can be heard from a great distance. I don't always use mine. If I'm quite close to someone I'll usually say "good morning" and that's works fine - and sometimes leads to a little chat - it's one of the things I like about cycling. But sometimes I like to tell people I'm coming when I'm a long way off - and sometimes there are so many pedestrians and other cyclists that a bell is simply more efficient. Anyone who doesn't think a bell is effective should cycle in Paris during rush-hour! That's what finally converted me!

OP
OP
Licramite

Licramite

Über Member
Hmm I thought the only legal requirement for bikes left was a bell, refelectors on your pedals and lights at night.
and you all sound a much friendlier bunch than the cyclists round my way.
as for looking behind, the cyclist is more likely tucked in behind you so a glance over the soulder won,t pick him up, I rely on listening - its fairly quite around my way.

I use one of those flick dingers as opposed to the full old fashion type, just a ding is enough usually. - maybe thats why they are so offish - offended by my bell obviously.

admittedly its a rare thing to overtake people, its more a ding of triumph !!

Lee_M

Guru
A friend of mine in the habit of calling out a cheerful "tingaling" was rebuked by a pedestrian who angrily asked him why he couldn't get himself a bell "like the rest of them".:sad:

shout back "I can't my bell end fell off"

If I freewheel I can't sneak up on anyone

Hope Pro3 rear free hubs have that effect :whistle:

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
I find talking to people far more pleasant and effective than bells. Too many pedestrians equate bike bells with car horns. This should be right, as they are both there to alert people to your presence. Unfortunately as horns have been misused to shout 'GET OUT OF MY WAY!' by drivers, this seems to be how a lot of pedestrians round here regard cycle bells.

Sheep OTOH, will move for a bell, but only the sheep closest to you. I once rode into Wasdale ringing a bell over and over again as the sheep peeled off one by one :smile:

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
Whenever I use my bell on country lanes on a slow/cruising road cyclist to let them know im going to pass them, they always seem to drop a gear and accelerate back past as if using the bell was somehow mocking them or taunting them into a race. Just passing them quietly doesnt seem to provoke the response as much, so far, for me, anecdotally.

I got overtaken earlier with my nephew by some commuter guy, who burst past unexpectedly inches from his handlebars without warning. An audiable warning would have made the whole thing more pleasant and this thread just reminded me of it. Typically about 200m up the road he'd finished his burst of pace and we ended up catching him again and sitting behind him for half a mile :rolleyes:

My favourites are where you're catching some elderly people, so you ring your bell early to not shock them, ring it again when you're pretty close, they ignore you and then yell "get a bloody bell!" :crazy:

Sca1ey

I think that everyone automatically associates the sound of a bell with bikes. Rung from a distance to alert a pedestrian to your presence I don't think they are aggressive and then you can follow up with a cheerful 'morning' in etc as you pass.

As for overtaking cyclists I usually go for a 'on your right mate' when (occasionally) overtaking.

Tim

I have a bell on all my bicycles and my wife and kids (29*, 13, 16, 19) have them too.

I can imagine why somebody would not want one, but I like them.

A gently ring elicits more smiles than any other form of warning I know.

Smiles are to be encouraged.

There is room on my roadbike bars for a lamp, a Cateye Stada, a bell and my hands.

I think some of the newer breed of full-carbon, lycra-missile, Garmined-to-death 'serious' cyclists find bells a little childish.

In the same way, some drivers of high-end German cars find letting other road users into traffic a little childish.

Sorry, did I make an inappropriate or inaccurate link there, or is it accurate enough to hurt?

Top Bottom