Buy a bike and cycle it home?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

All uphill

Still rolling along
I'm interested in buying an older bike from a recycling project and then cycling it 50 miles home.

I could just jump in a car, drive 100 miles and be done, but where's the fun in that?

I'm thinking of taking the usual tools, inner tubes, patches and credit card.

Anyone done this? Anything else I should consider? Take a chain?

T4tomo

Legendary Member
It depends on whether its been refurbished and made roadworthy, in which case just take your usual tool / puncture kit.

If its been plucked out of a skip and given a wipe with an oily rag and left with 40 yrs old brake blocks then I wouldn't

How are you getting there?

fatjel

Veteran
A few years ago I toyed with the idea of buying a bike in Cambridge (A spesh roubaix) and riding it home to wales. The train fare from Carmarthen to Cambridge were eyewateringlly expensive so i didn’t bother in the end.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
In 1988 my dad bought me and my brother matching mountain bikes from a shop in Stockport. On collection day I opted to ride mine the 10 miles home, mostly along canal towpath.
The left-hand crank fell off about halfway home!

You take your chances, but do reasonable pre-ride checks and will probably be ok.

winjim

Smash the cistern
Could you make sure your route home passes a bike shop along the way just in case?

OP
OP
All uphill

All uphill

Still rolling along
Thanks for all the useful thoughts and experiences- they help.

I'd get there by train, buying a return so that I have a plan B.

Taking a known saddle is a good idea and water bottle and cage.

Once this heat has moderated I'll make a trip to look at it and decide on the spot.

I'll give being a youtube star a miss. ^_^

Top Bottom