Buy a bike and cycle it home?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

frazzled

Haven't travelled by rail much over the last couple of decades so dunno if prices are still nonsensical, but...

After completing trade training in the RAF, back in '92, I was posted from Somerset to Bedfordshire. Went to book a single and the kindly ticket office chap told me a day return was cheaper.

I have cycled home on the last two bikes I bought, though it was only 6 miles so much shorter than what the OP would be planning.

The first one had a dropper post so I was able to get the saddle height right quite easily before setting it absolutely right when I got home.The second took a bit more time to set right for me but required no more than the multi tool, I’d taken with me, to sort it out.

I bought a GT Karakoram in "Tequila sunrise" in Hunstanton, and rode it home to Henley-on-Thames, where I lived at the time. A great adventure, partly because the seller gave me a duff middle ring.

I had a really nice day in Cambridge after sorting the ring, then came home after a week. Never booked campsites or had a map or anything - just rode around.

Lovely little adventure. Mechanical failures added to the fun. Really!

Glow worm

Legendary Member
If you have the time why not extend the 50 miles and turn it into a mini tour. I collected my new Spa from Harrogate last year (got the train there) and rode it back to Newmarket over 3 days or so and it was a great ride.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I'm interested in buying an older bike from a recycling project and then cycling it 50 miles home.

I could just jump in a car, drive 100 miles and be done, but where's the fun in that?

I'm thinking of taking the usual tools, inner tubes, patches and credit card.

Anyone done this? Anything else I should consider? Take a chain?

Make sure you have identified any railway bailout options and, if any exist, checked the timetable

I bought a GT Karakoram in "Tequila sunrise" in Hunstanton, and rode it home to Henley-on-Thames, where I lived at the time. A great adventure, partly because the seller gave me a duff middle ring.

I had a really nice day in Cambridge after sorting the ring, then came home after a week. Never booked campsites or had a map or anything - just rode around.

Lovely little adventure. Mechanical failures added to the fun. Really!

Strangely I bought a GT tequesta from near Henley.
Then had to arrange a family trip down to Legoland so I could pick it up.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Make sure you have identified any railway bailout options and, if any exist, checked the timetable

and the strike calendar!

Top Bottom