Buy a B'Twin Triban 520?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Heddle the Pedal

Über Member
Hi all - am returning to cycling after long time. Need advice on bike and tyres. I'll be commuting 10m each way. Mostly road but also some rough patches of tarmac and muddy paths. The B'TWIN TRIBAN 520 FLAT BAR ROAD BIKE - SORA has great reviews and tempts me. But am wondering if the frame is strong enough for the work. I read it isn't that strong. Also if I should change tyres to cope with terrain. If so, to what? Thanks guys.

vickster

Legendary Member
Fatter tyres might be better. If it can take them with the mudguards you’ll want for muddy journeys
It is quite road oriented, might be worth looking at other bikes which already have a fatter tyre like a 32-35mm (the triban has 28mm as standard, the randonneurs on there are decent for your uses, don't bother changing until worn out/regularly puncture)

Who said the frame isn’t strong? And in what way? (Decathlon like to cover themselves). It's a £400 bike, which is mid range in reality (although 10kg is decent for the bike) but they must have confidence in their product as they give a lifetime warranty on the frame?

Go to Decathlon and check it out for yourself.

Last edited:

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Looks ideal for your described use IMO. According to the official info can run upto 32mm tyres....

upload_2018-1-4_13-23-40.png

I like the Vittoria Randonneur tyres and have sets in 32mm & 35mm. The 32mm set on my all-road bike have been used in all sorts of conditions verging on outright MTB terrain and have always shrugged it off with ease.
Gearing looks perfect with a close ratio 12-25 cassette good for road work but a triple Shimano Sora chainset so you have the small granny ring just in case it does get hilly. This is almost exactly the set-up I have on my hybrid and it works perfectly. The granny ring rarely gets used but when it is needed it is a good job it is there.
You cold do a lot worse than that bike for the price and the use you have stated, go for it :okay:

Lozz360

Veteran
There is nothing wrong with the frame. I have a Triban 500SE which is the same frame I believe. I also weigh about 100kg. I bought the bike new in June 2015. As I say it has been fine. Enjoy.

vickster

Legendary Member

Cycleops

Legendary Member
You’ll struggle to get a better new bike for the money. Frame is certainly strong enough to cope with a bit of off road. Mudguards with the optional 32c tyres is the only potential issue.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I would have thought for a 10 mile commute, you'd want to use a bike already fitted with full mudguards. You can get soaked riding 1 mile in the wet, never mind 10.

mgs315

I’ve not got a 520 but I’ve a few years old 500 (Microshift 3x8 gearing) and it puts up with a surprising amount of abuse. I’ve actually taken it along some mud tracks and despite it being a road bike (albeit I’ve changed the 23s for 25s) it handles them fine.

Only thing I’d consider is thinking about going for drop bars instead of flat. Even if you’re not used to them (as I was when I got my 500 a few years back) they quickly become comfortable and normal plus the fact you can get more aero helps save energy and/or time on a commute. I use mine for a 10 mile commute on south London roads and it’s bulletproof.

OP
OP
H

Heddle the Pedal

Über Member
V grateful to all for advice. V helpful. Wishing you Happy New Year & happy (& safe) cycling!

Top Bottom