Buyer beware!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Yeah but we are taking about building a bike. Not doing a suspension bridge. There's no need for caveats.
It's a bit like suspension bridges though as braided steel cable. As far as I understand it for a suspension bridge is pre-stretched before fitting and this gives it a uniform length that can last decades. I believe this is because the individual filaments of the wire rub against each other and bed down better over time which makes them longer but a more stable length, so the filament cables become every so slightly straighter as they are packed together a little tighter with less space after use and repeated stretching. So in suspension bridge construction an older pre-stretched cable is a better cable you could say.

However move over to bicycles and we seem to think that stretching to a uniform length is a bad thing and replace those cables but if they are a more uniform consistent length shouldn't that be a better cable. I guess the surface of the cable becomes worn and creates more friction possibly as some individual filaments on the outside become more damaged. In theory a well lubricated old cable could be better.

Fibrax make some of the very best cables here in the UK as well as some of the best brake pads too. They used to have a lot of good information on their site about cables.

Their catalogue has some good info on cables and their die drawn slick cables look like a fit and forget solution with a very low friction design that looks like it would last many years with occasional lubrication. What price those cables are is another matter but Fibrax are famous for great value vs quality just not bargain basement pricing. No I have no connection to Fibrax at all just someone amazed at their brake pad quality for very reasonable pricing. Seemed to last 3x as long as cheap brake pads and brake just as well and only cost a 50% premium on top of the cheapest pads. So a Fibrax fan although never tried their cables knowingly. I always try to Britify my asian bikes a bit with British made bearings, grease and pads as I normally find that gives them a huge improvement in reliability and performance and may have to start using some Fibrax cables too.

Catalogue here;

https://fibrax.org/assets/fibrax-catalogue-2020-sm.pdf

It's a bit like suspension bridges though as braided steel cable. As far as I understand it for a suspension bridge is pre-stretched before fitting and this gives it a uniform length that can last decades. I believe this is because the individual filaments of the wire rub against each other and bed down better over time which makes them longer but a more stable length, so the filament cables become every so slightly straighter as they are packed together a little tighter with less space after use and repeated stretching. So in suspension bridge construction an older pre-stretched cable is a better cable you could say.

However move over to bicycles and we seem to think that stretching to a uniform length is a bad thing and replace those cables but if they are a more uniform consistent length shouldn't that be a better cable. I guess the surface of the cable becomes worn and creates more friction possibly as some individual filaments on the outside become more damaged. In theory a well lubricated old cable could be better.

Fibrax make some of the very best cables here in the UK as well as some of the best brake pads too. They used to have a lot of good information on their site about cables.

Their catalogue has some good info on cables and their die drawn slick cables look like a fit and forget solution with a very low friction design that looks like it would last many years with occasional lubrication. What price those cables are is another matter but Fibrax are famous for great value vs quality just not bargain basement pricing. No I have no connection to Fibrax at all just someone amazed at their brake pad quality for very reasonable pricing. Seemed to last 3x as long as cheap brake pads and brake just as well and only cost a 50% premium on top of the cheapest pads. So a Fibrax fan although never tried their cables knowingly. I always try to Britify my asian bikes a bit with British made bearings, grease and pads as I normally find that gives them a huge improvement in reliability and performance and may have to start using some Fibrax cables too.

Catalogue here;

And do they still sponsor a club ? I'm sure they used to. Wrexham ? Although I can't recall seeing a Wrexham top for years so I'm doubting myself now.

Chislenko

Veteran
And do they still sponsor a club ? I'm sure they used to. Wrexham ? Although I can't recall seeing a Wrexham top for years so I'm doubting myself now.

Last few years Wrexham's sponsors have been Wrexham Lager then Ifor Williams trailers. Now they have hit the "big time" it is Tik Tok.

9813 at their game yesterday in non league, just imagine if they do get some success and manage to ever open the fourth side of the ground!

OP
OP
Milzy

Milzy

Guru

Catalogue here;

Interesting, now I have moved to a frame with external cables I worry that the elements will now corrode them faster. Is it ok to rub some kind of grease/oil/wax over the exposed cables?

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
I believe Shimano SIS cables are factory pre-stretched. Brake cables aren't, as anyone who has fitted new ones knows. Fit cable with pads against rim, hold brake on hard for 30 seconds, pads are now about 3mm from the rim at the rear (less for the front)

Last few years Wrexham's sponsors have been Wrexham Lager then Ifor Williams trailers. Now they have hit the "big time" it is Tik Tok.

9813 at their game yesterday in non league, just imagine if they do get some success and manage to ever open the fourth side of the ground!
You confused me then. I was talking about the cycling club that apparently is still going strong.

Chislenko

Veteran
You confused me then. I was talking about the cycling club that apparently is still going strong.

Sorry mate, crossed wires there!

Interesting, now I have moved to a frame with external cables I worry that the elements will now corrode them faster. Is it ok to rub some kind of grease/oil/wax over the exposed cables?

Just look after the bike normally. I don't recall ever having a rusty cable and I don't give them any special treatment. Are they resistant or am I lucky ?

OP
OP
Milzy

Milzy

Guru
Just look after the bike normally. I don't recall ever having a rusty cable and I don't give them any special treatment. Are they resistant or am I lucky ?
Well it’s not going on the turbo. Sweat is the biggest bike killer not the British winter.

Top Bottom