2023: A Buyer's Market

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
Can't see there being much in the way of no price increases, much less reductions.

The overheads are still increasing.

Not surprised really. The number of 'covid cyclists' out and about at one point was staggering, any day of the week.
I saw two or three cyclists on mondays ride, that would have been ×10 a couple of years back. Each to their own but a shame in a way.

OP
OP
Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I've noticed a big drop in numbers too, a lot less than 50% of the Covid peak.

Cycling as a hobby or sport needs commitment to keep up long term. You need to not be bothered about now and again getting cold, wet or knackered on occasions, and sometimes all three at once. People who jumped on the fashion bandwagon are likely to get fed up with that fairly quickly.

Sallar55

Veteran
Bought a bike for the other half at the new year . Guy was wanting rid of it ( gumtree) but not for buttons ,said it can stay in the garage if i dont get what i want. It was minted never even bothered to try and force the price down. Bet thats what many are doing.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Nothing could have been more of a perfect storm for accelerated Covid sales than bikes; the natural repercussions of this boom being equally unsurprising in the following years.. crap news for some but it is what it is; while anyone with any sense in the industry should have seen this coming and tucked away some of that sun-soaked hay for a rainy day..

Unfortunately for the bike-o-philes this mainly seems to have affected more low-end / pedestrian offerings (so no half-price '80s Rossins, Colnagos or Pinarellos to be had here) although I'd guess there's maybe a bit of hope for those right at the bottom of the market who might be looking for a really cheap introduction to two wheels..

Last edited:

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
I've noticed a big drop in numbers too, a lot less than 50% of the Covid peak.

Cycling as a hobby or sport needs commitment to keep up long term. You need to not be bothered about now and again getting cold, wet or knackered on occasions, and sometimes all three at once. People who jumped on the fashion bandwagon are likely to get fed up with that fairly quickly.
Quite a few commuters I used to meet now work from home ! My own circumstances changed as well to the point I’ve not sat on my bike for about a year . I May get back into it but right now, I really can’t see it . This is coming from a 150 mile a week cycle commuter !

Alex321

Veteran
Unfortunately for the bike-o-philes this mainly seems to have affected more low-end / pedestrian offerings (so no half-price '80s Rossins, Colnagos or Pinarellos to be had here) although I'd guess there's maybe a bit of hope for those right at the bottom of the market who might be looking for a really cheap introduction to two wheels..

That is not really surprising. A lot of those who took up cycling as a result of lockdowns will have initially bought cheap bikes to do so. Those who are then dropping out from it now will usually not have moved on from those cheap bikes, and will be getting rid of them.

While most of those who are keeping at it will have moved on to better bikes if they can afford it (me being one of those - I had a £350 Boardman hybrid when I got back into cycling at the start of lockdown, then bought a £2100 Cube 16 months later).

I would have thought general higher production costs would have kept prices high.

The wattbike is at an all time high @ £2400

And the top end wahoo/tacx smart bikes are £3500 for the latest versions.

Perhaps indoor trainers are subject the different supply and demand.

All uphill

Still rolling along
Quite a few commuters I used to meet now work from home ! My own circumstances changed as well to the point I’ve not sat on my bike for about a year . I May get back into it but right now, I really can’t see it . This is coming from a 150 mile a week cycle commuter !

Not sat on a bike for a year?

That would make me Mr Grumpy too.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I would have thought general higher production costs would have kept prices high.

The wattbike is at an all time high @ £2400

And the top end wahoo/tacx smart bikes are £3500 for the latest versions.

Perhaps indoor trainers are subject the different supply and demand.

None of them are bikes.

There seems to be a crazy market/arms race for indoor training. All a bit sad really when there is a lovely world out there to be explored. Yes I have a smart trainer and did have Zwift. It was good for injury recovery. But that's now folded away, and the PC in there is used for music streaming whilst I'm working away on bikes etc. I ride outdoors.

I read a thread on another site and someone was saying they've got LED smart light strips for their Zwift cave, I mean... come on.

Top Bottom