2023: A Buyer's Market

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alex321

Veteran
None of them are bikes.

There seems to be a crazy market/arms race for indoor training. All a bit sad really when there is a lovely world out there to be explored. Yes I have a smart trainer and did have Zwift. It was good for injury recovery. But that's now folded away, and the PC in there is used for music streaming whilst I'm working away on bikes etc. I ride outdoors.

I read a thread on another site and someone was saying they've got LED smart light strips for their Zwift cave, I mean... come on.

That "lovely world" out there isn't so lovely when it is blowing a gale or icy on the roads.

There were far too many days this winter when weather conditions just didn't allow for safe riding on the roads (and I don't have a bike really suitable for significant off-road riding).

I finally bought a smart trainer a few weeks ago, and wish I had bought it a few months ago.

None of them are bikes.

There seems to be a crazy market/arms race for indoor training. All a bit sad really when there is a lovely world out there to be explored. Yes I have a smart trainer and did have Zwift. It was good for injury recovery. But that's now folded away, and the PC in there is used for music streaming whilst I'm working away on bikes etc. I ride outdoors.

I read a thread on another site and someone was saying they've got LED smart light strips for their Zwift cave, I mean... come on.

Yeah fair point. Its just the only purchase I've made recently .

I wfh and in the traffic dense west midlands a quick ride in my lunch hour means battling white van man and barmy artic lorry man. The wattbike I can just hop on for 30 - 45 minutes.

There are some people though who aren't cyclists and just use the wattbike as an exercise bike ! (Shouldn't complain too much as purchased from such a person - a used 6 times wattbike over £1k cheaper than new :smile:)

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
That "lovely world" out there isn't so lovely when it is blowing a gale or icy on the roads.

There were far too many days this winter when weather conditions just didn't allow for safe riding on the roads (and I don't have a bike really suitable for significant off-road riding).

I finally bought a smart trainer a few weeks ago, and wish I had bought it a few months ago.

Could have bought a more suitable bike. I commute all year, just switch to ice tyres for winter and ride them for two to three months. Slow, but doesn't stop me.

I'd also recommend grtting a MTB. Lots of places to go and stuff you can't see from the road, and weather just really doesn't matter on one of them if you dress appropriately.

fossyant

Yeah fair point. Its just the only purchase I've made recently .

I wfh and in the traffic dense west midlands a quick ride in my lunch hour means battling white van man and barmy artic lorry man. The wattbike I can just hop on for 30 - 45 minutes.

There are some people though who aren't cyclists and just use the wattbike as an exercise bike ! (Shouldn't complain too much as purchased from such a person - a used 6 times wattbike over £1k cheaper than new :smile:)

You got any off road. During lock down, I'd jump on the MTB before or after work.

I WFH 2 days a week, bike commute 3. On home days, I can have a slightly extended lunch and get in 45 mins to an hour on road in traffic dense south Manchester. I no longer road commute as its that bad. Its ok at lunch. Basic smart trainer £200. Why would you spend a grand. That £800 would get a basic hard tale so you could mix it up.

Alex321

Veteran
Could have bought a more suitable bike. I commute all year, just switch to ice tyres for winter and ride them for two to three months. Slow, but doesn't stop me.
I could have, but I wanted a decent road bike.

I might try ice tyres if I could find any in 700c x 28, my bike won't take wider.

I'd also recommend grtting a MTB. Lots of places to go and stuff you can't see from the road, and weather just really doesn't matter on one of them if you dress appropriately.

I will not be even trying to persuade my wife I need another bike. I do still have my old hybrid, and use it occasionally, but I don't find it nearly as enjoyable to ride - and it is currently hooked up to the turbo :smile:

If I ever do get another bike, it will more likely be a gravel bike than an out-and-out MTB, though I could go for a cross country MTB.

You got any off road. During lock down, I'd jump on the MTB before or after work.

I WFH 2 days a week, bike commute 3. On home days, I can have a slightly extended lunch and get in 45 mins to an hour on road in traffic dense south Manchester. I no longer road commute as its that bad. Its ok at lunch. Basic smart trainer £200. Why would you spend a grand. That £800 would get a basic hard tale so you could mix it up.

I don't think there is a right wrong - its horses for courses.

My wattbike is in my bedroom - so I can jump on when I have a spare 30 minutes. Ive had the basic smart trainers - calibrating, loading the bike on - it just all got too much faff.

Alex321

Veteran
I could have, but I wanted a decent road bike.

I might try ice tyres if I could find any in 700c x 28, my bike won't take wider.
Thinking about this, it might be worthwhile getting ice tyres for the hybrid for next winter, and then using that whenever it is icy.

I have been running 700c x 38 on that, and ice tyres are definitely available in that sort of size.

fossyant

I don't think there is a right wrong - its horses for courses.

My wattbike is in my bedroom - so I can jump on when I have a spare 30 minutes. Ive had the basic smart trainers - calibrating, loading the bike on - it just all got too much faff.

Basic one, just leave the spare bike on it - handy storage too - stops the bike falling over. The real world beckons !

Basic one, just leave the spare bike on it - handy storage too - stops the bike falling over. The real world beckons !

Not for me. Id still have to go into garage. WB next to CD player, laptop, kit, router nearby - decide you want to ride 5 minutes later your away. Tried the budget smart trainer option - only ever used it about 3 times

craigwend

Grimpeur des terrains plats

Attachments

• 4CAD8D10-6C94-453F-B419-5EC34ADD6D7F.jpeg
    4CAD8D10-6C94-453F-B419-5EC34ADD6D7F.jpeg
    51.7 KB · Views: 2

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
whats this lunch hour folk speak of ? more like lunch 25 mins including going to the loo ;)
Zwift is a godsend atm for me as im convalescing mrs ck so cant get out for at least another week but i can get a couple of short sessions in a day to replace the commute im missing

Drago

Legendary Member
I'm no business genius and even I know that booms are usually followed by a bust, and the bigger the former the more painful the latter. I'm scratching my head as to how many business we're caught with their pants down over the covid boom dribbling away.

fossyant

Used prices are still daft in places although 'stock shifting' prices are more 'normal' again. Lots of problems in the cycle industry - looks like the UK pro Scene is like the early 90's again - i.e. not much going on.

Top Bottom