Buyers Remorse

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
@Hip Priest you are certainly not alone: many times I've lusted after stuff, bought it on credit then didn't like it.
A new bathroom comes to mind :whistle:
Keep the bike, get the lbs to fix the problems, you will enjoy it after this first hurdles.

Sara_H

Guru
Tents with me, I have 7 or 8 tents, at least 3 of which have never been used!

Sometimes the same with bikes, but I have almost always used the bikess, with the exception of my very pretty vintage raleigh caprice. At the time i HAD to have it. Only ever ridden home from when I went to collect it and a couple of times to my local park! I feel better knowing it's in the garage though!

Don't see any problem with an occasional online rant. I'm prone to one myself occasionally.
Luckily, the majority of cyclechatters are kind and good humoured and can help greatly with an occasional mood blip.

I've been road cycling for over 2 years now...
Sorry for the rant, but I'm feeling very down right now. What can I do?

Mr Priest sir,

Many of us will recognise experiences of our own in your post. It is a perfectly normal response to a series of small but seemingly major setbacks.

1. While riding the 'budget' machine, much hope and expectation has been invested in the 'perfect' replacement. However good the Orbea was, it was never quite going to live up to the dream. In truth, a bike like that is a lovely machine and will serve you very well. This episode is just a small splat of dog poo on your shoe as you walk to a very fine restaurant. Do not let one spoil the other.

2. The problems are quite local and each is small. It is the concatenation of events that is having this unpleasant and slightly crushing effect. A bicycle is a very simple machine made up of several fairly simple components. It's just a matter of breaking down and identifying the issues and then addrssing them. At the end of the process, you will again have an excellent machine.

3. "Doesn't sit right in the drop-outs". In modern, vertical drop-outs, there is little opportunity for a well-wiggled wheel not to sit straight. Maybe the wheel isn't true. A shop will true it for you at little cost, or you could have a go yourself. You may have bent it while struggling with the tyre.

4. Despite being a keen cyclist for over four decades and strong in hand and arm, I still use levers for roadbike tyres. It is not a fault or a failing to do so, whatever some might imply. However, each rim, each tyre and each set of circumstances is different and may require a different approach with the levers and so on. It may not be the new rim tape that is thwarting you. Sometimes, when things look to be going badly, the smallest pebble becomes a boulder.

5. Do not even think about the chips on the rim. They may need to be smoothed up a bit, to prevent them attacking tubes, but bicycles get dinged and scratched. They are not museum pieces. All of my family's bicycles are scratched and chipped to hell. It is character and your rim has some.

Make a coffee (a good coffee) pin a smile on your chops, accept that there will be some modest cost involved and get the thing working again.

You will enjoy riding it - as you knew you would. Put the experience and the cost down to experience.

I write the above in the hope that you haven't already left the forum.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Don't see any problem with an occasional online rant. I'm prone to one myself occasionally.
Luckily, the majority of cyclechatters are kind and good humoured and can help greatly with an occasional mood blip.

Agreed.

But I suppose something similar could be said about the replies - one or two were a bit narky, but allowances should be made.

The OP has (had) been around here long enough to know what the place can be like.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Agreed with BB's post above, it's always disappointing when your pristine new toy gets damaged or seems to have something wrong, especially when it cost so much. In most cases when this has happened to me I've discovered eventually that there wasn't really anything wrong and that my own cack-handedness has caused the problems. I wish I lived near the OP, I would scoot round with a couple of cold beers and my tool kit and tub of talc and sort the whole thing for him, check the bike over, adjust and set up the saddle and bars and give his hurt feelings a bit of TLC.

sidevalve

Über Member
As per above chill out ! Good points - you have a good bike with a good frame and fair components, still worth a good bit of cash if you need to sell it and when sorted capable of giving you years of pleasure and covering lots of miles.
Bad points - you MIGHT have a slightly iffy wheel and you've popped a couple of tubes.
Sure cash is a bit tight but it's like that all round and like I said once you've sorted it [not really a huge task TBH] you've
got a great bike.
PS - I use tyre levers on road bike tyres and I'll admit it yes I have nipped a tube but as a new tube often costs less than the price of a coffee it aint much to get upset over.
PPS - cracking rant by the way.

simon.r

Person
@Hip Priest - it sounds as if a lot of us have been there - I certainly have!

I have, on occasion, fallen so out of love with a new purchase that I've sold it on at a significant loss and just put it down to experience. It hurts, but I've got over it.

One other slightly less drastic suggestion for you - it sounds as if all the issues are down to your wheels, so if you still have that 0% credit card could you run to another £15 or £20 a month and get a shiny new set of wheels for your new bike? Sell the 'old' ones and you'll probably bring that down to £10 a month.

OP
OP
Hip Priest

Hip Priest

Veteran
Thanks for all the replies.

I was in some mood last night! Jazzkat summed it up well - a throwing spanners round the garage mood. I think I just needed telling to calm down, have a cup of tea and think rationally.

I'm pleased to say that once I'd slept on it, I returned to the garage and calmly and systematically repaired the tubes and got the bike roadworthy again. I was still unable to fit the tyre without levers, but I only needed to use one gently for the last bit - as a shoehorn rather than a crowbar.

I've learned that bicycle repairs are simpler when you aren't in a rush and don't have a 'FFS I'm sick of this f-ing bike!' mindset.

I've been out this morning for a thoroughly enjoyable ride, and felt proud to be astride such a lovely looking bit of Basque workmanship.

Part of me wants to delete this slightly unedifying thread, but I think I'll leave it up and return to it should I ever get into a throwing spanners mood again. It might remind me to find some perspective.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Thanks for all the replies.

I was in some mood last night! Jazzkat summed it up well - a throwing spanners round the garage mood. I think I just needed telling to calm down, have a cup of tea and think rationally.

I'm pleased to say that once I'd slept on it, I returned to the garage and calmly and systematically repaired the tubes and got the bike roadworthy again. I was still unable to fit the tyre without levers, but I only needed to use one gently for the last bit - as a shoehorn rather than a crowbar.

I've learned that bicycle repairs are simpler when you aren't in a rush and don't have a 'FFS I'm sick of this f-ing bike!' mindset.

I've been out this morning for a thoroughly enjoyable ride, and felt proud to be astride such a lovely looking bit of Basque workmanship.

Part of me wants to delete this slightly unedifying thread, but I think I'll leave it up and return to it should I ever get into a throwing spanners mood again. It might remind me to find some perspective.
good to see you havent left us Hip Preist - enjoy the machine and become at one with the road.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
I think we all know how you felt!

And I still use plastic tyre levers to help get tyres on or off.

hopless500

Trundling along
[quote="Hip Priest, post: 2542264, member: 15703"

Sorry for the rant, but I'm feeling very down right now. What can I do?[/quote]

:hugs:
You need :cheers: or :cuppa: and some lots of cake.

And someone to give you a hand giving the new bike a bit of a sort out. It can be sorted and you will enjoy it.....don't let this completely ruin it for you - that would be a real shame :surrender:

Top Bottom