Buying 2 bikes - any advice appreciated!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Keep well clear of those models with suspension forks. They are nothing more than a gimmick designed to entice the unwary buyer, and will be of low quality at that price point.

Gunk

Guru
^^^this

Keep well clear of those models with suspension forks. They are nothing more than a gimmick designed to entice the unwary buyer, and will be of low quality at that price point.
True, stay clear, unless you want a mountain bike, and a decent suspension
fork will be 400.00 on its own.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I think that the need to test ride bikes is vastly overstated, TBH. I have bought a number of bikes over the years but have not test ridden a single one of them before purchase. The most I have ever done is swing a leg over them to ensure I can comfortably straddle the crossbar without any painful experiences. When you've ridden and owned aa few bikes you get an idea of what sizing fits, and in the case of conventional frames with horizontal top tubes, if you can stand over the frame comfortably with your feet flat on the ground then the bike will basically fit, even if you have to tweak the saddle position or change the length of the stem to fine tune it.
How a bike will feel and handle can be predicted with a fair degree of accuracy by looking at the actual frame angles, the wheelbase, and any available geometry charts. I have never yet ridden a short wheelbase bike with steep-ish angles that felt ponderous, or ridden a long slack geometry frame that felt twitchy. Most mass market hybrid style machines will be pretty middling and benign to ride, as the manufacturers play it safe to appeal to a wide variety of riders. Tyres can make a noticeable difference, even in identical sizes.

OP
OP
R

Rapscallion

Opinions on this one?

http://calibrebicycles.com/bike/stitch/

Can pick it up for £312 (including a cashback deal) brand new. The others I've had my eye on are:

Trek FX 2 Disc
Marin Fairfax 2
Giant Escape 2 Disc
Merida Crossway Urban 20/40 (hard to find stock in my size)
Ridgeback Vanteo 2020

I'd need to spend an extra £100 minimum to pick up on from that list. Is the Calibre a significantly inferior bike?

Must add I don't want the faff of upgrading certain parts as I want to ride off the shelf as it were.

A reminder, I'll be using it for casual road/light off-road cycling. No commuting but I will want to go on some long rides occasionally.

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
Opinions on this one?

http://calibrebicycles.com/bike/stitch/

Can pick it up for £340 brand new. The others I've had my eye on are:

Trek FX 2 Disc
Marin Fairfax 2
Giant Escape 2 Disc
Merida Crossway Urban 20/40 (hard to find stock in my size)
Ridgeback Vanteo 2020

I'd need to spend an extra £100 minimum to pick up on from that list. Is the Calibre a significantly inferior bike?

Must add I don't want the faff of upgrading certain parts as I want to ride off the shelf as it were.

A reminder, I'll be using it for casual road/light off-road cycling. No commuting but I will want to go on some long rides occasionally.
Looks good, decent groupset, hydraulic brakes, 32mm tyres, should be fine on paths but not sure I’d ride much through woods or similar.
Lovely colour too

Gunk

Guru
The Calibre is a really nice looking bike and a perfect “decent” bike to start on. If you get the bug you will want to move on to something better and at £312 you won’t lose much money, that will fetch £200 used after a couple of years, or just keep it as a second bike.

91C5F7A6-6577-433D-95E4-274C880DCE18.jpeg

vickster

Legendary Member
Ok it finally loaded, spec no better than the Calibre

just go for the one you like the look of, all much of a muchness.
buy local if you can, then you’ll get the free 6 week check over and can troubleshoot any issues

OP
OP
R

Rapscallion

Ok it finally loaded, spec no better than the Calibre

just go for the one you like the look of, all much of a muchness.
buy local if you can, then you’ll get the free 6 week check over and can troubleshoot any issues
Thanks for the advice ^_^

Top Bottom