Buying a BBQ

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Should it really be this difficult to burn food outdoors?

Mrs Marmion and the Marmionettes have been pestering me to get a BBQ after our last one died a sorry death when the bottom fell out of it a few years ago - it was a basic gas thing with 2 burners and then a layer of charcoal and then the grill; simple. Easy to work.

Today when I went to the local retailer of garden stuff I was met with an array of options none of which seemed to be as simple nor allow me to have a layer of charcoal on top of the gas burners (which kind of then makes it not a BBQ in my mind...). After much discussion I walked out shaking my head - things that looked basic and simple cost a frigging fortune and the rest were so puzzling to either build and/or operate that I'd have wasted away to a pile of bones by the time I got round to cooking anything.

Anyway, my failed attempts were met with much complaining on my return and I was duly informed to get onto the internet and get something sorted. Pronto.

I have found one which seems easy, a simple round kettle with charcoal rather than gas.
http://www.bbqworld.co.uk/weber-barbecues/charcoal/weber-compact-47cm-charcoal-bbq-black.asp

Then I looked at the other stuff suggested to buy with it - lighters, wood chips, various charcoal options, covers, tools, fluids - and I decided it was time to go to the beer fridge an crack open a bottle of pale ale. And then when I get complained at for not sorting it out I can simply have another bottle...

Then I happened upon the excellent idea to ask you knowledgeable lot what your views on the above BBQ and what else I need (and I mean "need" not just some add-ons that will simply rip cash from my wallet with no discernible benefit) - please feel free to suggest more beer as well if you want.

snorri

Legendary Member
Summer will be over soon,...................... if you can just prevaricate for another couple of weeks:smile:.

Our barbecue is called an oven/grill/hotplate. We cook and, if the weather is condusive, we carry it into the garden, together with a bottle or two of "vino collapso" and enjoy!!
It seems to work!!

Levo-Lon

Guru
Man cooks the bbq with beer...simples..big + is the beer bit

i have a gas one now..so much better for beer

Kettle Bbq

Real charcoal

Nuff said.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Which? had a review of the top five BBQs
Of the gas ones, Weber Spirit Classic E-201 and the Outback Spectrum Hooded 3 burner came out well. Of the charcoal models, Outback Omega 200 Charcoal, B+Q Blooma Russel BBQ, and the Weber One Touch Premium Charcoal did well.

BTW, I'm useless at the BBQ caveman act but it's a brilliant excuse for guzzling beer while pretending to be all masterful.

Top Bottom