Buying a bike in Holland, then riding home

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
What is the wrong way and the right way?

The UK has the lever for the front brake on the right and the back on the left*, whereas Germany has it the other way around. I was happily riding the British way for years before I realised I was doing it differently to everyone else around me.

*Also Iran, according to one of my clients.

Gwylan

Veteran
Think the turn up on a rubbish bike in your road gear and the necessary for a few night touring is the best ruse.

Do the deed. Turn up with dusty bike and move on.

Do Customs Officers cycle at all or read places like this?

normgow

Guru
The UK has the lever for the front brake on the right and the back on the left*, whereas Germany has it the other way around. I was happily riding the British way for years before I realised I was doing it differently to everyone else around me.

*Also Iran, according to one of my clients.

In England in 1959 my first bike had the front brake on the left, rear on the right. All my bikes since then have had the same arrangement.
I always thought it was just a personal preference thing and never knew it had to do with where you live.

Tenkaykev

Guru
In England in 1959 my first bike had the front brake on the left, rear on the right. All my bikes since then have had the same arrangement.
I always thought it was just a personal preference thing and never knew it had to do with where you live.

That's reminded me that Halfords used to sell a kit that adapted a cars headlights for driving on the continent. There's an opportunity for some enterprising individual to set up a similar service swapping over the brake cables for cyclists planning to tour abroad. 😁

CharlesF

Guru
That's reminded me that Halfords used to sell a kit that adapted a cars headlights for driving on the continent. There's an opportunity for some enterprising individual to set up a similar service swapping over the brake cables for cyclists planning to tour abroad. 😁

That would confuse the hell out of me!

All uphill

Still rolling along
Maybe worth mentioning that you will need a quick trip to NL for any guarantee issues, too

GeekDadZoid

Über Member
Something I have thought about too, we where hoping to take the car over next year for a holiday so my plan was to take look for a nice used model to bring back.

I have a Union that I keep in my front garden, it's from the late 70s and I suspect has spent at least 40 years outside, it's my errand bike and makes quick trips so simple, no getting the bike out of the shed etc.

I passed it on earlier this year and replaced it with a step through gazelle but got the Union back as it's much nice to ride despite being far too big really.

There is a bike shop in Rotterdam called cheap ass bikes which sells used ones very reasonably.

OP
OP
grldtnr

grldtnr

I've been to Sea, not as far as the NL, admittedly, it's a can of worms innit, you know you could probably get away with it, but sod's law says you will get caught, then hung ,drawn & quartered !
Speaking of which, having been at sea, it used to be the case, if you are British, you could sail into your home port, and generally not get molested by the 'feds' as long as you are flying the red duster, it don't work the other way , enter any continental port whilst flying the Red Duster, ( which you have to, it's kind of a passport) you will get a visit from the foreign 'feds', so it isn't on to have a nice shiny new bike on board ,with no paper trail for it .
For now, the risk isn't worth it, I know I could get away with it, , I I've never been stopped , cycling through passport control apart from the usual checks, and get waved through the Green channel,

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Put the money you've saved from your trip towards a nice hybrid, fit a rack, mudguards, and whatever else you want to put on it. You'll have mount every bit as good as a Dutch bike. It won't be built like a tank (it really doesn't need to be) and you'll actually be able to ride up hills. Sorted.

Gillstay

Über Member
Put the money you've saved from your trip towards a nice hybrid, fit a rack, mudguards, and whatever else you want to put on it. You'll have mount every bit as good as a Dutch bike. It won't be built like a tank (it really doesn't need to be) and you'll actually be able to ride up hills. Sorted.

It sounds like you have never ridden a Koga bike, never mind other excellent Dutch bikes, but I do know the type your on about. We often met them on camp sites in Davos and similar as they pedalled from the highest road in Europe to the lowest. Often they did not even have half toe clips. One guy with full camping gear looed like he was riding back from the beach, but was actually doing hundreds of miles. Our obsession with lightness may not be quite as rational as we think.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
It sounds like you have never ridden a Koga bike, never mind other excellent Dutch bikes, but I do know the type your on about.
I thought the OP said he didn't want a Koga?
And it was the OP who said he wanted 'something that is well built& specced,and able to carry heavy loads'. Something that many other bikes can do.

Last edited:

Sallar55

Veteran
The Dutch make really good touring bikes, almost bought a Santos Mtb touring bike. The Dutch and German cyclists are quite adventurous they like travelling, usually in 3rd world countries.

Top Bottom