buying a Brompton

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

StuartG

slower but further
Page 2 and no mention yet of the most essential "accessory" - eazywheels. It is the solution to Adrian's challenge!

Plus would endorse lower gearing, front block and, if you are of the right shape, a Brooks saddle. I have a M3L and if I had the choice again it would be a M6L. But then it has gone up Welsh mountains and cross country tours so nothing to get too hung up about and imho less important than the smaller chainwheel. BTW real Brommie riders wouldn't dream of the faux pas of riding anything but black. As for those yellow bar ends - eeek!

Cycleops

Legendary Member
They don't magically get you up and down flights of stairs.
But then, what does?

StuartG

slower but further
They don't magically get you up and down flights of stairs.
Perhaps you need one of these Adrian?
saxon400-4.jpg

jay clock

Massive member
Yeah but try explaing that to the gate line staff at some stations.
Never had a problem in London or South East. All stations I use permit full size bikes on the platform and through the gates (wide one). Cannot see why they would stop you, and even in London's busiest stations I have never even been glanced at when wheeling the Brompton

jay clock

Massive member
I wheeled mine through the gate and into the lift at Surrey Quays the other day, intending to fold it up in the lift. The gate bloke stood and held the door to watch me do this and deliver a lecture before he was finally prepared to let me go.
ok, but I was thinking of regular rail lines, and I think that line is TFL and part of the Underground. https://www.tfl.gov.uk/modes/cycling/cycling-in-london/bikes-on-public-transport#on-this-page-3 If it was a time of day when full size bikes were not permitted then they might have had a case. But arsy though

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
BTW real Brommie riders wouldn't dream of the faux pas of riding anything but black.
StuartG speaketh the sense :thumbsup:
As for those yellow bar ends - eeek!
:boxing: Bring it on, sunshine!!
The bar ends are actually a bronzy/gunmetal colour, and have adorned my touring bike for some 30 years. Since that bike is now retired, I thought it was only right that I let the bar ends carry on touring, so to speak.
I do have some black ones in a similar style, currently on the Decathlon folder. I could fit those, I suppose.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Never had a problem in London or South East. All stations I use permit full size bikes on the platform and through the gates (wide one). Cannot see why they would stop you, and even in London's busiest stations I have never even been glanced at when wheeling the Brompton
Hmmm. I was made to fold my Brom, stick it in the bag, and carry it the full length of a TGV at the Gare de Lyon. They're quite surprisingly long trains.

I had a tyre explode outside bank station, so took my mezzo down to catch the DLR. They made me fold it at the barriers and it turns out it's a long walk; up and down stairs, the full length of a platform. Best part of a kilometre, I'd estimate. And it was a lot more hazardous bumping along (my mezzo doesn't roll easily) than it would have been wheeling it.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I. They made me fold it at the barriers and it turns out it's a long walk; up and down stairs, the full length of a platform. Best part of a kilometre, I'd estimate.

Someone worked out walking overground from Hyde Park Corner tube station to Green Park tube station is a shorter walk than traipsing through the various tunnels at both stations to take the train.

One of the line changes at Green Park is a brute of a walk as well.

Top Bottom