Buying a cheap car

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I've seen your Clio - it didn't look scruffy to me.

Where did you and Al get the Golf from?

Might be worth checking if they have anything suitable, although £2,000 is a bit too cheap for a lot of main dealers.

I don't suppose you would get particularly special treatment, but as a recent customer one would hope they wouldn't actively try to stiff you.

Drago

Legendary Member
Unless you're very lucky, there are cheap cars for 2 bags, but very few good value ones. I'm excellent with the spanners and have all the time in the world, so buying something for a grand or fifteen ton, and spending a few hundred making it mechanically perfect is perfectly viable for me. If not, chances are you'll simply be buying someone else's age, mileage and trouble, with no cost effective way out of it.

It's not ironclad, and you can get lucky, but as a general rule there's a very good reason 2 grand cars cost 2 grand. Good luck.

screenman

Legendary Member
Years ago the motor group Henlys used to put a sticker over the odometer on used cars - you couldn't see the numbers.

The idea was to force the customer to buy on condition, not mileage.

I don't think there's a foolproof way of avoiding risk when buying.

Provenance helps, is there a colleague or someone you know who is selling their car?

As, presumably, an employee of the local authority, is their a county council staff message board you could use?

Still no guarantee, but you would at least know who you were buying from.

Most garages used to do that myself included as there was not a foolproof way of checking the mileage.

D

Deleted member 26715

Most garages used to do that myself included as there was not a foolproof way of checking the mileage.
No but the new MOT history does help, when you see a car you like check out https://www.gov.uk/check-mot-history it will tell you all it's MOT history since 2006 (I think) so you can see the mileage increase, also any faults that have been found,

But as somebody put before C1, 10x or the Aygo great little cars, might be a bit small, I ran one for nearly 2 years commuting, although they are functional over luxury.

screenman

Legendary Member
No but the new MOT history does help, when you see a car you like check out https://www.gov.uk/check-mot-history it will tell you all it's MOT history since 2006 (I think) so you can see the mileage increase, also any faults that have been found,

But as somebody put before C1, 10x or the Aygo great little cars, might be a bit small, I ran one for nearly 2 years commuting, although they are functional over luxury.

I saw an advisory the other day for a missing dust cap, that is attention to detail.

Buy a white or silver Aygo, C1 or the Pug version.
Should get a good one at 2k

White cars and silver dont show dirt or look smeary.
And the tax is £20 for these.

This type of car
https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201810281906006

Another option in this class is the Skoda Citigo

Or go up a size and get a Skoda Fabia. The series 2 can be had for reasonable money, but if, like me, you are short, the rear visibility is totally pants.

MarkF

Guru
Ford Focus, petrol, 1 or 2 owners and with FSH.

I bought one of those 5 years ago next March, it's not cost me anything other than a full service and Mot each year. I paid £850

Last edited:
OP
OP
Julia9054

Julia9054

Guru
Actually, I think we're having to go back to the drawing board. I have just spent a horrific hour researching car insurance for a 23 year old new driver living in Longsight, Manchester. Between £5000 - £6000. He can't afford that . . . and neither can I. If he lived at my address, it would be £1000.

Top Bottom