Buying a cheap car

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Actually, I think we're having to go back to the drawing board. I have just spent a horrific hour researching car insurance for a 23 year old new driver living in Longsight, Manchester. Between £5000 - £6000. He can't afford that . . . and neither can I. If he lived at my address, it would be £1000.

My son cant get any decent insurance quotes on anything other than nearly new cars. Best seems to be the small Kia Picanto. £1k for a £6k car.

To get insurance on my 16 year old nissan would be over £4k. The car is worth £1k max

D

Deleted member 26715

with cars, it's service history, service history, service history.
I disagree with this, for me you have fallen for the salesman's ploy, the increase the price of cars with manufacturer service, then independent service, for me it's condition, condition condition, the mileage doesn't really matter with cars today, German & Japanese diesel engines will just keep going & going & going. A low mileage car that has just pootled around the lanes can be as big a timebomb as another that's spent it's life up & down the Motorways. I would also rather buy from a person selling their own car than a dealer, the dealer has no idea if there is anything wrong, the owner will know all about it, you can get a vive from them how honest they are.

Levo-Lon

Guru
My son cant get any decent insurance quotes on anything other than nearly new cars. Best seems to be the small Kia Picanto. £1k for a £6k car.

To get insurance on my 16 year old nissan would be over £4k. The car is worth £1k max

Is it a skyline? Joke init

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next

But as mentioned, the worth of the car is almost irrelevant because it's usually a tiny fraction of the cost of the holes it can put in other cars, historic buildings and innocent lives.

Sadly young drivers are a much higher risk, they tend to crash at high speed with a car full of friends. That could cost millions in compensation.

Old people tend to have low speed crashes with no passengers costing a few hundred quid.

A black box is the way to go for young drivers, maybe with a self imposed curfew too. If insuring young people made profits the insurance companies would be fighting to offer cheap cover.
We looked at Marmalade for insuring daughter, but they appear to have a limited range/age of vehicles they'll cover. It works as an extra layer 'pay as you drive' for young drivers on top of our insurance.
My Mother in Law was outraged recently when her insurance went up considerably. We had to point out that she is now being considered a bigger risk now she has hit 75.
Irony really is that my Daughter is the most careful driver I know!

OP
OP
Julia9054

Julia9054

Guru
We looked at Marmalade for insuring daughter, but they appear to have a limited range/age of vehicles they'll cover. It works as an extra layer 'pay as you drive' for young drivers on top of our insurance.
My Mother in Law was outraged recently when her insurance went up considerably. We had to point out that she is now being considered a bigger risk now she has hit 75.
Irony really is that my Daughter is the most careful driver I know!
I discovered marmalade yesterday during my research. They won't insure for Joe's area of Manchester

Levo-Lon

Guru
We had a Skyline awesome car, but just like an psychotic ninja it would try to kill you at the slightest opportunity

I had a 200sx that nearly did kill me.
Totalled it

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
I disagree with this, for me you have fallen for the salesman's ploy, the increase the price of cars with manufacturer service, then independent service, for me it's condition, condition condition, the mileage doesn't really matter with cars today, German & Japanese diesel engines will just keep going & going & going. A low mileage car that has just pootled around the lanes can be as big a timebomb as another that's spent it's life up & down the Motorways. I would also rather buy from a person selling their own car than a dealer, the dealer has no idea if there is anything wrong, the owner will know all about it, you can get a vive from them how honest they are.
You might well be right - I'm often well behind the curve - but for me, the service history tells you more about the condition, condition, condition that actually matters - ie, the non-cosmetic stuff - than anything short of a full inspection by someone who really knows what they're about (and is likely to charge for it, unless they're a mate). I have to confess to being surprised to hear I've fallen for a salesman's ploy. I've never had any dealings with salesmen. I always buy privately.

Reactions: mjr

Levo-Lon

Guru
You might well be right - I'm often well behind the curve - but for me, the service history tells you more about the condition, condition, condition that actually matters - ie, the non-cosmetic stuff - than anything short of a full inspection by someone who really knows what they're about (and is likely to charge for it, unless they're a mate). I have to confess to being surprised to hear I've fallen for a salesman's ploy. I've never had any dealings with salesmen. I always buy privately.

Buying from a reputable dealer is often a wise choice these days.
Hell of a lot of crooked motor dealers out there.
You do pay for peace of mind but in the grand scheme of things it's a bargain.
If you buy a bent car false documents ect you lose everything.

Do your homework if buying private and do it well...
Also a lot of private sales are dodgy car traders exploiting the law to shift a bad un.
Avoid tax vat ect ,cash sales..

Last edited:

Nigeyy

Legendary Member
I agree that service history is usually a good indicator of how well a car has been looked after -but I also think it can be overrated as well. A service history doesn't always let you know what's lurking underneath (mind you, sometimes nothing can!) and is absolutely no guarantee of mechanical/electrical worthiness. The last 3 used cars I've bought I've not even see a service history, I've placed more value on the condition and what I've seen in the car. I think I'd trust more a friendly mechanic or someone who knows what they are looking for, but again not foolproof, and I think I've been lucky not to get a car that's proved expensive with repairs (but as said previously, it's a bit of a crap shoot and you need a little luck).

BTW one cheap way is to use an OBD reader on a car, let's you know what errors have been cleared. I once looked at a car that seemed fine, then found out it had a myriad of little errors in history. It was enough to put me off!

D

Deleted member 26715

I agree that service history is usually a good indicator of how well a car has been looked after
Just remember virtually all Reps cars are lease cars that have full service history & we all know how well they look after & treat their cars with respect!

screenman

Legendary Member
Just remember virtually all Reps cars are lease cars that have full service history & we all know how well they look after & treat their cars with respect!

Up to this one I have often bought ex company cars, they are not all reps driving them, I do know my way around a car.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Actually, I think we're having to go back to the drawing board. I have just spent a horrific hour researching car insurance for a 23 year old new driver living in Longsight, Manchester. Between £5000 - £6000. He can't afford that . . . and neither can I. If he lived at my address, it would be £1000.

ouch and a bit more

We had to pay £1400 for my daughter's first car which we were totally expecting

Top Bottom