Buying a cheap car

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Levo-Lon

Guru
I've got it down to £1805 now with a bit more research. I thought being 23 rather than 17 would help - but clearly not enough to offset living in central Manchester.

It's surprising really as every time I visit Manchester all the traffic is stationery:laugh:

So very little chance of accidents

OP
OP
Julia9054

Julia9054

Guru
Does he need a car if he's in central Manchester :laugh: be careful he may try to drive back home to bring his washing
His work tends to be all over the north. In The last couple of weeks, he has had jobs in Huddersfield, Leeds, Sheffield, Styal and Ripon. Orchestras are more likely to hire him if he can get himself to jobs without needing a lift and public transport has often stopped before he needs to get back.
He doesn't bring washing home - he brings all his trumpets home so he can sluice them out in my bath! xx(

Salar

A fish out of water
Does that mean he needs business insurance :eek:

As said above, yes. No fixed place of work and in the "entertainment industry" will crank up the insurance.

Could well need personal liability insurance too, unless he already has it.

Last edited:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
It's surprising really as every time I visit Manchester all the traffic is stationery:laugh:

So very little chance of accidents

High incidence. Got the broken bones as proof.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
His work tends to be all over the north. In The last couple of weeks, he has had jobs in Huddersfield, Leeds, Sheffield, Styal and Ripon. Orchestras are more likely to hire him if he can get himself to jobs without needing a lift and public transport has often stopped before he needs to get back.
£1800/year would pay for a few B&Bs.

He doesn't bring washing home - he brings all his trumpets home so he can sluice them out in my bath! xx(
@Fnaar!

fossyant

We had a Skyline awesome car, but just like an psychotic ninja it would try to kill you at the slightest opportunity

Nice. Would love an R34.

That said, being an older duffer, Ive checked the insurance for me on an Infnity Q50S hybrid. Just 600 squids for a car that will hit 60 in 5 seconds, and has all the nanny technology to get you there and back.

Just going to be tricky catching 600 squids.

There has to be some benefits for being an older careful driver with no claims.

OP
OP
Julia9054

Julia9054

Guru
As said above, yes. No fixed place of work and in the "entertainment industry" will crank up the insurance.

Could well need personal liability insurance too, unless he already has it.
Already has personal liability through Musicians Union.
Some of the sites i tried asked for his job and some didn't. The cheapest one did.
I guess he needs to weigh up earning enough to run a car against loss of work for not having one. Tricky when you are first starting out.

fossyant

When i went to a training meeting in Manchester,after the mass car park the turning i wanted had been blocked by a car on its roof!!
I avoid trips to this care home if possible.

I must say, Ive seen a few cars on roofs in and around the city. Some folk are doing well to flip a car....

fossyant

Already has personal liability through Musicians Union.
Some of the sites i tried asked for his job and some didn't. The cheapest one did.
I guess he needs to weigh up earning enough to run a car against loss of work for not having one. Tricky when you are first starting out.

It all adds up. Since my accident, my car expenses have gone up by about £200 a month. I had the car already, but cycled to work. Its a bit of a killer really and will hit him.

Top Bottom