Buying a frame

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Very easy IMO. Just remember that not all seatposts are the same diameter, and front mechs have different fittings too. Other than that it's straight forward, and also rewarding to do :thumbsup:

OP
OP
redcard

redcard

Veteran
You guys are making this sound a bit too complicated.:stop:

There must be someone out there who did this and everything went without a hitch.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
it's pretty straight forward and can be very rewarding and instructional if you've not done it before or often.

As others say you need to be aware of the sizes of key parts and that they may not all transplant. Other than that it's just a question of the right tools really. A lot of them can be bodged but it is a huge amount easier if you've got the kit for the job. If you anticipate tinkering a lot then buy the tools, of a reasonable standard, as you need them. Otherwise maybe you could find a nice neighbour who has them or a friendly bike shop that allows loansies.

It's not complicated, trust me, I've done it so it can't be :tongue:

I've re-built two '80's bikes, converting one to modern 10 speed, and built up a new frame as well.

The last frame I built I just had to get a new seatpost as the one I had was too wide, and I had to get a braze on front mech as opposed to the clamp on one that was fitted to my old bike.

What bike is it you've got, and what frame are you looking at building up?

OP
OP
redcard

redcard

Veteran
It's not complicated, trust me, I've done it so it can't be :tongue:

I've re-built two '80's bikes, converting one to modern 10 speed, and built up a new frame as well.

The last frame I built I just had to get a new seatpost as the one I had was too wide, and I had to get a braze on front mech as opposed to the clamp on one that was fitted to my old bike.

What bike is it you've got, and what frame are you looking at building up?

Nothing in particular. I probably should learn the basics of bike maintenance first before taking on such a project.

Top Bottom