Buying a Helmet for My Son

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianbarton

Veteran
My son, who lives in London needs a new helmet. We are going to give him one for Christmas. Since we aren't certain what size he is I was going to buy one from Wiggle, so he can return it if it doesn't fit him. However, the Wiggle helmets part of the website has gone into a black hole and can't be found! Any suggestions of retailers who will accept returns if the size is wrong gratefully received!

vickster

Legendary Member
My son, who lives in London needs a new helmet. We are going to give him one for Christmas. Since we aren't certain what size he is I was going to buy one from Wiggle, so he can return it if it doesn't fit him. However, the Wiggle helmets part of the website has gone into a black hole and can't be found! Any suggestions of retailers who will accept returns if the size is wrong gratefully received!
Sigma sports should, chain reaction who are part of Wiggle, Halfords. If you use PayPal at retailers not offering free returns, you can sign up and reclaim through PayPal up to £15 12 x a year . Is it a surprise present? Otherwise just get him to go to a few shops and choose one for you to pay for. No shortage of bike shops in London.
Or ask him what size is current one is or to measure his head, that said it could be the right size but wrong shape

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I am of the opinion (oh dear, always bad to have an opinion about cycling headgear on here ... this may not end well) that you should always try a helmet on before buying. Which makes me wonder whether you can get a gift voucher for Specialized or some other manufacturer of your choice and enable him to do just this?

Last edited:

wonderloaf

Veteran
Sigma Sports do free returns, in the past when buying shoes I've bought a couple of sizes and returned the unwanted ones without any problems, just make sure you stick to the T&C's for returns!

Sharky

Guru
Planet x seem to be selling good looking helmets for well under £20.

All helmets a very adjustable, but make sure the head size is in the middle of the range to allow for extra head gear in the cold months.

OP
OP
ianbarton

ianbarton

Veteran
Thanks all for the suggestions. He is very unlikely to use a voucher based on past experience! Chain reaction seems to have plenty of options. I'll ask his partner if she can get a look at his old helmet and find out details of size, etc.

Different makes of helmet fit different shapes of head. You really need to try them on for fit and comfort. My head can't get on with Specialized helmets for example.

Perhaps if you can find out what brand his old helmet was - and the size is always in it too.

Wiggle still sell helmets though - must have been a temporary blip. https://www.wiggle.co.uk/helmets

DRM

Guru
Different makes of helmet fit different shapes of head. You really need to try them on for fit and comfort. My head can't get on with Specialized helmets for example.

Perhaps if you can find out what brand his old helmet was - and the size is always in it too.

Wiggle still sell helmets though - must have been a temporary blip. https://www.wiggle.co.uk/helmets
Got to agree with the above, he really needs to try it on to make sure it’s a comfortable fit

OP
OP
ianbarton

ianbarton

Veteran
Unfortunately, he lost his last helmet in a house move, so I can't find out what size it was. I'll try and get his partner to drag him to a cycle shop to try some on.

Top Bottom