Buying a new 125 scooter

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I wont go through why and what for....its too long:wacko:
Ive seen(online) a brand new Honda pcx 125 scooter for sale at a dealers here in Bristol.
It states that it will be brand new, 2019 model,but when purchased,it will be an "18" plate.
Before I contact the dealer(dont want to get "fobbed off"by them) was wondering if anyone has any thoughts/advice.

Slick

Guru
Pre registered for sure, maybe even a demonstrator. What miles is on it?

Check there isn't a new model on it's way but even if there isn't, it's still grounds for a good discount. :thumbsup:

You can get some very good deals buying 'pre reg', if it's what you want the only real downside is that the manufacturers warranty period starts the day it was registered. There may be a newer model with a better spec but you just have to decide if any extras/improvements are worth the difference in price.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
The Honda pcx 125 is a good scooter. It has been around for some years so well proven mechanically, cheap to run and reliable.

If it's a pre-reg and not a demonstrator there shouldn't be any mileage on it, all depends on how much cheaper it is than a new plate one (should be about 30%) and what the new plate / extra warranty is worth to you.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Honda scooters are reckoned to be among the best.

Assuming it's UK spec from a genuine dealer it should be a decent buy.

@StuAff commutes on a scooter and has a few tales he could tell.

OP
OP
BristolRoversfc

BristolRoversfc

Regular
Unfortunately the "brand new 18 reg" thats advertised,is one of the most expensive ones.
There are a few companies on Flea Bay with "19" reg bikes for £300 less than my Bristol dealer.
The only good thing with the Bristol dealer,is they offer 0% finance which I would need.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Unfortunately the "brand new 18 reg" thats advertised,is one of the most expensive ones.
There are a few companies on Flea Bay with "19" reg bikes for £300 less than my Bristol dealer.
The only good thing with the Bristol dealer,is they offer 0% finance which I would need.
How long do you intend to keep it? Over five years and a plate showing the bike to be a year older than it actually is won't make much difference to the resale value.

Back in the day I got a fair chunk off a pre reg Yamaha DT175.

Slick

Guru
Warranty?

keithmac

Guru
I've worked on a fair few PCX's, they are a good solid scooter.

Valve clearances are a bit of a mission to do and the only common theme is whining rear gearboxes.

As said above, make sure you get the full warranty.

Other thing is the dealer is as important as saving a few ££, more important imho..

OP
OP
BristolRoversfc

BristolRoversfc

Regular
Cant seem to see any warranty details on the adverts for new PCX's.
Strange though....when I search for new Honda PCX on my local dealers website....they dont have any.....but when I search under "used bikes".lo and behold....there it is.
Reason im going for brand new is I intend to keep it for at least 5 years and will cherish it and have it serviced regularly.
I do look after my cars...pushbikes etc...

keithmac

Guru
Cant seem to see any warranty details on the adverts for new PCX's.
Strange though....when I search for new Honda PCX on my local dealers website....they dont have any.....but when I search under "used bikes".lo and behold....there it is.
Reason im going for brand new is I intend to keep it for at least 5 years and will cherish it and have it serviced regularly.
I do look after my cars...pushbikes etc...

I serviced one from new for a customer and it had over 35,000 miles (could have been 40,000) on it when he part exchanged it for a Forza 125.

Keep it serviced properly and clean and it'll run for ever..

OP
OP
BristolRoversfc

BristolRoversfc

Regular
Thank you Keithmac and all the other replies.
I also understand about warranties/service intervals/using non Honda dealers etc....
After I get one (wont be for about 8 weeks....having full knee replacement op in 10 days time):sweat: I may get myself a manual for it and learn how to do the basics.(or *** tube of course)

Top Bottom