Buying a new Lid online

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

flake99please

We all scream for ice cream
Is it just the outer shell that has cracked or is it fubared?

wonderloaf

Veteran
I've got a couple of the Croix helmets and can't fault them, find them much more comfortable and cooler than the Giro Foray that I've got. They're only a tenner at the moment so might go in for another colour soon.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Why are these Carnac helmets so cheap ?
Because they don't cost much to make, the standards they have to meet are undemanding (thank goodness since their efficacy is debatable (see other thread >>>>)) and buyers of more expensive makes/models are just paying for marketing/the name and aesthetic flim-flam.
Considerations: Shape, roughly the right circumference with some easy to operate adjustment, comfortable straps reasonably aligned, and a well-designed foam lining (ideally with spare bits), and a set of vents that matches your style of riding. Oh, and a colour that suits you and your various bikes :okay:.

Because they don't cost much to make, the standards they have to meet are undemanding (thank goodness since their efficacy is debatable (see other thread >>>>)) and buyers of more expensive makes/models are just paying for marketing/the name and aesthetic flim-flam.
Considerations: Shape, roughly the right circumference with some easy to operate adjustment, comfortable straps reasonably aligned, and a well-designed foam lining (ideally with spare bits), and a set of vents that matches your style of riding. Oh, and a colour that suits you and your various bikes :okay:.

Or if you are a cynic they are not making much(if any) money on them:whistle:

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
You should view a helmet purchase in the same way you would view a bike purchase. Try as many within your price range as possible. If the shop has a fan ask if they could direct airflow onto the top of the helmet. Buy the most comfortable, with best airflow.

Steel helmets are best, don’t go for carbon

Justinitus

Warning: May Contain Pie
I closed the garage door on it the other night and the metal rod chopped a piece of the foam off on the side, slightly damaged the shell as well.

Bet you’re glad you were wearing it then, dread to think what would have happened if you hadn’t been!

Why not try one of the Planet X ones - at least if it’s not what your after it will be a minimal investment until such time you can get to a shop to try some on.

Top Bottom