Buying a new Lid online

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

plastic_cyclist

Hi, I am looking to buy a helmet online, but I am not sure about the way the sizing works, is there some kind of head measurement I can take which will direct me towards a medium or large?

sheddy

Legendary Member
Measure head circumference in cm. Use string.
Manufacturers website should show sizes in cm.
In the winter you will probably need a buff underneath.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Measure the circumference of your head with a length of cloth or paper. The sales site should have a chart where you can determine which helmet size you fall into.
I should read a few reviews before deciding on the site and on YouTube before deciding.
FWIW I have a Specialized Sorbet which is very comfortable for me.
You'll also find that better helmets have a inner band controlled by a knurled adjuster at the back to fit it closer to your head.

Last edited:

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Try some on if you can, even if it's just to gauge which manufacturers will be the closest fit. Some makes of helmets just don't suit the shape of my head no matter what size. I know that Poc and Giro fit me really well, but Met for example just feel wrong, I get pressure spots in places.

Buying completely blind online can be a bit of a risk until you have an idea of what make feels best on you.

vickster

Legendary Member
Buy one from a retailer with free returns and delivery if possible, and from the same brand as the old one as more likely to fit (brands are very variable in shape even if they give the same measurement).

planet x charge for delivery and returns but at £20 you may not think it’s worth bothering returning if no good

vickster

Legendary Member
I just cracked my old one, so I need new....was thinking about the Carnac range, seems to be reviewed quite well.

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/HECAAURA/carnac-aura-road-helmet
Did you notice that link tells you how to gauge your head circumference under detailed description so...

flake99please

We all scream for ice cream
You should view a helmet purchase in the same way you would view a bike purchase. Try as many within your price range as possible. If the shop has a fan ask if they could direct airflow onto the top of the helmet. Buy the most comfortable, with best airflow.

OP
OP
plastic_cyclist

plastic_cyclist

You should view a helmet purchase in the same way you would view a bike purchase. Try as many within your price range as possible. If the shop has a fan ask if they could direct airflow onto the top of the helmet. Buy the most comfortable, with best airflow.

Shops are a no go for me at the minute, hence the online question. I need a quick fix!

Head shape is just as important as circumference. The fittings with a flexible nylon band conform to different shapes better.

Top Bottom