Buying a new mattress - advice please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tenkaykev

Guru
We did try a “ Memory Foam “ mattress several years ago. It came in a compressed form. Once the packaging was breached it expanded to full size. What they didn’t mention was the need to leave it to “breathe “ for a couple of days to get rid of the faint chemical smell.
We got rid of it after a year or so as we found it too warm and the edges weren’t supportive enough.
Buying mattresses can be a bit of a challenge. I did a fair bit of research and discovered several things such as mattress manufacturers putting different labels on the same product so you can’t compare the price between retailer A and retailer B. There were lots of similar “ gotcha’s” . One UK seller had a YouTube channel where they took mattresses apart and explained the good and not so good features.

OP
OP
Julia9054

Julia9054

Guru
Been to lie on a few at the local bed shop. This is our favourite
https://www.bedstar.co.uk/sleepeezee-hybrid-2000-5ft-kingsize-mattress.html?sku=BED60228

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
If you know the model you want, buy it online. We bought our bed twelve years ago. The local bed shop wanted £1900, the online retailer wanted £800.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Memory foam - utter tosh ime. Horrible sweaty things. Had one some years ago and it had mildew like gunk on the underside*. This happened the same with two friends of ours. They also sag very quickly and at £1400 we expected a lot better.

Shop we got it from said that this can happen in warm houses!

Latest was purchased Nov last year in a sale for £850. 2400 individually pocket springs, no need to turn. We went for a pretty firm model too. Bliss!

Don't forget decent pillows - different heights for back sleepers vs side sleepers. Managed to get 2 Dunlopillos for £150 in the same sale. Last yonks and very supportive.

Decent mattress stain protector too for menopausal ladies; and post-menopausal too as the darn things have not abated and Mrs SD is 4 years post.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Some reports say that memory foam continues to emit nasty chemicals even after the initial off-gassing. I’ve gone to natural latex. Supportive but with just the right amount of give.

CharlesF

Guru
Try IKEA. They have a vast variety to chose from with matching bases, plus their returns policy is very generous.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
I just deleted my post as you quoted me, having revised my view.

It's just part of the inevitable demise of the physical store. Shame, but there it is. Beds are substantially online.

Top Bottom