Buying a reconditioned Mac

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
Hi computer buffs

I'm a PC person - mainly because my work requires me to use Word, and it seemed less faff just to use Windows, so most of my stuff is Windows based.

However now I want to use software that is only produced for the mac. I probably won't bother using the mac for anything else, so it doesn't need to be high spec. It needs to run El Capitan (10.11), Sierra (10.12) or High Sierra (10.13)

I was wondering about buying a reconditioned one, or a second hand one. I dislike ebay and don't want to buy from them.

If I buy just the computer, as opposed to buying a laptop, can I just plug it in to the same monitors I use with my PC? Would I need a different keyboarrd?

I'm not really a computer person, I just bash the keys, so any advice welcome.

Ta
Spinney

cisamcgu

Legendary Member
I know very little about Mac's, but they will work with any monitor.

Tin Pot

Guru
I’ve used Apple at home for twelve years or so. I bought two recondition laptops from them, no problems with either.

You’ll be fine.

OP
OP
Spinney

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
Hmm, what's a mac mini - bascially a small desktop? Looks like that might be the cheapest thing to go for, if I can find one.

Hmm, what's a mac mini - bascially a small desktop? Looks like that might be the cheapest thing to go for, if I can find one.
I think that right.

The prices at the refurb store are consistent, but stock changes regularly. Keep checking for what you want, and when you see it, snap it up.

OP
OP
Spinney

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
Ah, I think Windows laptops don't easily connect to external monitors either. But a mac mini (seems cheapest option) is just a box, so it looks like you are both correct!
:okay:

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I have been catapulted into macland with very little knowledge other than the iPad I now use. Some of the MacBooks do not have usb connections and there seems to be a variety of obscure charging connections a well as chargers. One MacBook I cannot get into as it is password protected by a password I do not have but there seems to be a variety of ports with no obvious use. While you should not have password problems look at the connections to external items. ( before anyone asks no they have not been stolen but the previous owner died without divulging passwords )

Top Bottom