Buying a second hand rickshaw/ cyclo

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tfc03

Veteran
An auction house has what looks like an indonesian cyclo for sale. It has highly decorative sides with landscape on the outside and a nice red leather padded seat at the front. It works, just single speed, but it needs some attention. Tyres are marked 'becak barang'. Im tempted, even tho i have no immediate use for it, tell me why i should/ should not buy it and whats a good price?! Thanks.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
'Becak barang' apparently means 'Rickshaw goods'. As for buying it I wouldn't think 'er indoors would be too pleased. Value? I'd ask an Indonesian rickshaw driver.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
An auction house has what looks like an indonesian cyclo for sale. It has highly decorative sides with landscape on the outside and a nice red leather padded seat at the front. It works, just single speed, but it needs some attention. Tyres are marked 'becak barang'. Im tempted, even tho i have no immediate use for it, tell me why i should/ should not buy it and whats a good price?! Thanks.
Pictures?

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Hi @tfc03 :hello:

Difficult one this. What do you want it for? As a novelty to have fun with or something practical to use?

If the former then it sounds good - colourful and eyecatching. If the latter I suspect you'll find it too heavy and slow to get much use out of it unless you live somewhere really, really flat.

Price: Difficult to judge. Having had a modern one for commercial use I look at the practical side of it and I'd not want to pay more than a couple of hundred pounds for a single speed machine. As a piece of moving art though you might have a completely different idea of value.

I'm keeping an eye on this thread with interest.:okay:

OP
OP
T

tfc03

Veteran
Thanks everyone. I have till lunchtime to decide! At times like this I wish I had a garage.
149245.jpg

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Thanks everyone. I have till lunchtime to decide! At times like this I wish I had a garage.
149245.jpg
As it is a single rear wheel there is nothing preventing you from fitting a geared rear wheel or even an electric 'pedal assist' kit. :becool:

OP
OP
T

tfc03

Veteran
All good ideas, especially sticking a big cassette on the back! It would be buying for the novelty value. My neighbourhood is flat, and its a flat two miles to work along mostly bike paths, maybe i could start giving lifts! Rewind two years and I didn't have a tagalong and it would be very handy!

I'm thinking if its cheap its worth a punt and if I cant live with it I could do a light fettle and donate it on to a local bike org to see if they can use it in some way - festivals and the like. Otherwise its going to sit outside a local asian restaurant as advertising! Storage, combined with the need to maintain domestic harmony, is the main issue [isn't it always]. I have a sense that it really meant something to someone, importing it wouldn't be easy. There are other bits in the auction - pedal cars, an early Giant OCR, that make me thing it belonged to an enthusiastic fettler! I'm getting sentimental in my old age.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Be interesting to know its history and why it was shipped over. I imagine it was destined to sit out a restaurant or similar or perhaps a memento.

OP
OP
T

tfc03

Veteran
Rickshaw sold for £230 so pretty good estimate above. I am not the proud owner! There was quite a bit of interest and a telephone bidder was successful.

I had a look around it and found the previous owners address! This was a boutique wedding venue so my guess is it was imported for that. Either they changed strategy or it was too much to do up- brake looked especially troublesome!

Top Bottom