Buying a secondhand Brooks

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Nick G

I'm toying with the idea of picking up a secondhand Brooks B17 from eBay but I'm worried that this is a false economy. wouldn't a secondhand saddle be shaped for someone else's bum, and therefore I wouldn't really get the advantage of it, or would it shape to my own bum after a while?

phil_hg_uk

I am not a member, I am a free man !!!!!!
Why buy a secondhand one sjscycles are doing them brand new for £35.00

bonj2

I'm not sure there's actually any evidence that they 'change shape' to conform to your arse as they break in whatsoever.
People say they get comfier, but that's largely because you're getting used to it.

Brooks may SAY that they change shape to conform to your arse, and this thread perfectly highlights the motive for this claim!

I've read lots of threads on yacf about people who've bought a second hand brooks and been happy with it, but I've never read a thread from anyone who's bought a second hand one, hated it, but then bought a new one and liked it.

That said, if they are £35 there's not a huge amount of point not buying new.

bonj said:
I'm not sure there's actually any evidence that they 'change shape' to conform to your arse as they break in whatsoever.
People say they get comfier, but that's largely because you're getting used to it.

BROOKS didn't send this out of the factory with 'dimples' like these
2007_0612Brooks0001.jpg

(my arse-bones did all the 'modifying'):smile: Whilst comfortable straight out of the box it has become even more comfortable over time ;)

bonj2

hmmm., i'm not sure it's meant to go like that.
I think you must have melted it down or hammered it or something -doesn't the 'ridge' at the front of the dimples get inthe way of your pedalling?

Nah! It's leather not plastic so it wont melt, and the only hammering has been from my arse-bones. What ridge are you on about - if you mean the saddle nose ... all 'standard' saddles have one. Here's a couple of different viewpoints
2007_0419Trek0005.jpg

2007_0419Trek0002.jpg

bonj2

;) how long did it take it to get like that? :smile:

bonj said:
;) how long did it take it to get like that? :smile:
In the case of my first Brooks, about a month or two. Interestingly the arse dimples weren't of even size, which I presume demonstrates that one leg is stronger than the other.

So long as the second-hand saddle is in good nick and not abused or fiddled with then it will be fine, the leather will just re-shape itself fairly rapidly.

bonj2

Chuffy said:
In the case of my first Brooks, about a month or two. Interestingly the arse dimples weren't of even size, which I presume demonstrates that one leg is stronger than the other.
well - no, just that you've got an uneven arse.

surely yorkshireman's is a special uber-wide one with springs, a B17 wouldn't go like that would it?

bonj said:
well - no, just that you've got an uneven arse.
<sigh> At least I don't talk out of it...:evil:
The uneveness will be because the pressure isn't even, not because I've got one bumcheek pointier than the other.

surely yorkshireman's is a special uber-wide one with springs, a B17 wouldn't go like that would it?
Yes. B17Ns less so. The springs are irrelevant.

bonj said:

It's a B67 (200mm at the widest bit - the back). Due to a dodgy back/neck/shoulders I needed a more upright riding position and the B67 was more comfortable than the B17. The B17 is a different shape altogether.

Plax

Guru
That's a very impressive indentation in your Brooks Yorkshireman! I've had mine for nearly a year now and it is showing no sign of any "defect" in appearance. I suspect because I've got a very shapely behind :evil:. I have the B17.

Top Bottom