buying a spare wheel

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fattony

HI

Im looking to buy a cheap spare wheel for use with a turbo trainer, I have a 2014 Boardman cx comp and its listed as having 700c mavic xm319 wheels.

I've searched all normal channels but there are so many options I dont want to buy one that wont fit, some people specify the internal width of the rim 18mm, some are listed as wheel number.

Is a 700c wheel a 700c wheel or is there something I need to look out for?

Thanks

U

User6179

HI

Im looking to buy a cheap spare wheel for use with a turbo trainer, I have a 2014 Boardman cx comp and its listed as having 700c mavic xm319 wheels.

I've searched all normal channels but there are so many options I dont want to buy one that wont fit, some people specify the internal width of the rim 18mm, some are listed as wheel number.

Is a 700c wheel a 700c wheel or is there something I need to look out for?

Thanks

Axle width 130mm or 135mm, CX might be 135mm

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
My guess is it's actually a 29" wheel, rather than a 700c. The XM319 is a 35mm disc wheel.

Make sure you get a 135mm disc wheel 700c / 29" and you should be fine.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
You do not need a disc wheel for use on a turbo. I use an older cheaper rim brake wheel with turbo tyre for turbo. You never brake on the turbo anyway. You want a 700c wheel that will take a 23/25mm turbo tyre so internal width 15/17mm or such. Think I picked up a new wheel for such purposes (for an earlier rim brake frame I had) for about £25. Plus a £15 10 speed cassette. It works fine on my disc brakes bike on the turbo.

Last edited:

CXRAndy

Guru
The Boardman will have 135mm width hub. its 700c with 9 speed hub .

Any 700C 135mm with shimano 9/10/11 speed hub with QR-quick release fitting will do.

Remember 135mm not 130 mm

Top Bottom