Buying a sub £200 touring bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Betty swollocks is right, just buy it, you'll never get anything half as good for the price. The only other cheap alternative is to buy an old mountain bike which would do the job, but if you don't know what you are looking at it could end up costing more than grumpy Greg's, and it won't be as pleasant to ride.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Socoms...you quite freely admit to knowing nothing about bikes and you can see other people on here chomping at the bit to get this bike for that price.

You need to wake up and smell the coffee.

If I were taller I would be after that bike.

Do yourself a favour and buy it. Saddles and pedals can be had for pennies on e Bay. If you dont buy it someone else on here will. I wouldnt be waiting for a week to make your mind up.

Steve

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Whilst building my new ride y'day I came across a new nine-speed cassette and a new chain in the parts locker. "What are they for I wondered?" "Oh yeah, the chain started skipping in my chocolate gear on the green bike so I bought the replacements in a chain reaction sale"

So, when it is sold, as sold it must be, it will have Charge Spoon saddle in brown, shimano spd pedals and a new chain and cassette...

Brandane

Legendary Member
Whilst building my new ride y'day I came across a new nine-speed cassette and a new chain in the parts locker. "What are they for I wondered?" "Oh yeah, the chain started skipping in my chocolate gear on the green bike so I bought the replacements in a chain reaction sale"

So, when it is sold, as sold it must be, it will have Charge Spoon saddle in brown, shimano spd pedals and a new chain and cassette...
For £175? :ohmy:
Come on OP, this is a no brainer! Buy it, use it (or not) then sell it on; it's not going to cost you anything and you might even will make a profit.

Last edited:

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
and what is really funny is...

I got an email today, honestly, telling me the Surly Straggler frame I ordered and paid for an age ago, for delivery in March, for which the tourer was going to be a "donor bike", will be delivered next week! Damn. I'll have to kit it out with new campag bits instead!

Brandane

Legendary Member
Hahaha, I try and keep the bar bill down to a minimum... though the World Cup is on, hmm...
Don't worry, your team won't give you much to celebrate. Unless you are German, Italian, Dutch, French, Spanish, Argentinean, or Brazilian! :thumbsup:
Well done buying that bike BTW, and enjoy the tour.

Last edited:
Top Bottom