Buying a wheels online...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tom B

Guru
I bashed a big flatspot into my hybrids rear wheel on Christmas Day, I'm now fed up with riding what feels like a 50p.Now it's got a broken spoke, a grumpy freehub and worn bearings to boot.

So I'm looking for a 700c disk brake wheel, 8SPD Shimano type freehub with QR and around 32h, in black with no brake faces. I run 28 wide tyres. I may consider moving up a width to protect the rim if that's worthwhile.

The last couple I've bough have been on mavic 319 rims and come in at about £80.

I don't seem to be able to find much on Wiggle Tredz CRC etc and my lbs doesnt have anything to tick my boxes.

The bike is used mainly for commuting / shopping / pleasure on the roads which are in Poor condition but does see off road use in gravel, cobbles and the smoother end of bridleways etc. The last two wheels have succumbed to flatspots.

With Mrs B on Maternity pay and a baby I ideally want to spend under £100 but could stretch a bit for something that's more durable. Can anyone recommend something?

I'm happy to consider second hand if anyone is selling !

Have often heard good things about Rose wheels.

https://www.rosebikes.co.uk/

I'd check them out.

Yes they are German.

I have had 2 pairs from Rose and they have both been excellent and amazing value
Interesting. Stories I've heard confirmed then.

Were these machine built?

Ever needed any truing?

Only negative think for me is, at least the last time I looked, they don't offer any wheels with Sputnik rims.

PS - can I ask what sort of wheels yours were? Touring, racing, general purpose/around town?

Nibor

Bewildered
Interesting. Stories I've heard confirmed then.

Were these machine built?

Ever needed any truing?

Only negative think for me is, at least the last time I looked, they don't offer any wheels with Sputnik rims.

PS - can I ask what sort of wheels yours were? Touring, racing, general purpose/around town?
Never needed truing they were machine built and they distressed first time out. Both were open pro rims with dt Swiss spokes both were 36 spoke one was on their own sealed rims the other on Tiagra quirpte light too

Never needed truing they were machine built and they distressed first time out. Both were open pro rims with dt Swiss spokes both were 36 spoke one was on their own sealed rims the other on Tiagra quirpte light too
sorry nibor, I'm not that technical. By "distressed" do you mean "destressed"? Doesn't this mean that some spokes wound out? Don't they then need sorting?

Top Bottom