Buying Camping Gaz near Malaga airport

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Is it still safe to pack and travel en pannier, Dave, or do you need to be pretty careful how you stow it?
We haven't had any problem with it in the pannier and I left it connected to a bottle last year and it hadn't leaked when i got it out for this years trip. I have had one not seal when screwing it on first time in the past but they've been ok snce I started spitting on the seal first!

OP
OP
jay clock

jay clock

Massive member
I'm sure it's fine but it's hard to believe that the adaptor forms a gas tight seal using 3 rubber bands!
It seemed to work fine!

andym

Über Member
Camping Gaz and Coleman are now owned by the same people so Coleman should have access to Camping Gaz's distribution network in France, Spain and Italy. Hopefully that means EN cartridges will be easier to find. I haven't done much touring this year, and I've mainly been in the UK, but the few times I've seen gas canisters on sale at campsites they've been selling both Camping Gaz and Coleman. (That's the Coleman EN screw-on cartridges not the proprietary ones they used to make).

If you want an insurance against not finding a gas cylinder then t would be worth considering getting a little 'sodacan' style meths stove. 'Alcool a quemar' is widely available. The Triad stove from backpacking light.co.uk for example: weighs only 28g and includes its own foldaway pot supports. May not be what you'd choose for regular use, but looks good for a fallback.

mmmmartin

Random geezer
You need not faff around with all this - every single european blowtorch uses gas canisters with the screw thread and you can buy them in hardware stores, even in quite small towns. Thus you do not need the converter - but it helps to have a photograph of one on your phone so you can show it to the man in the shop. Camping gas tends to be a pretty specalised and hard to find - i have found the blowtorch canisters to be cheaper and hotter because they have butane/propane in them rather than the usual camping gaz ones, which are merely butane. blowtorch ones have propane which makes them much quicker when heating. they appear to be more expensive but burn hotter so use less fuel. the shape of the blowtorch canisters lends itself to blowtorches rather than camping stoves but i have used one and although you might prefer to hold the pan to stop it toppling over, this is no hardship. sorry this is a slightly incoherent post but you see what i mean.
mnoCoLBkoAD60XHdfDUU47g.jpg

andym

Über Member
Y the shape of the blowtorch canisters lends itself to blowtorches rather than camping stoves but i have used one and although you might prefer to hold the pan to stop it toppling over, this is no hardship.

I guess it depends on what you are cooking. Soup or something you're just heating something up would work, but it would be a bit of a hassle being stuck holding the gas cylinder for 10 minutes while you cooked same pasta.

Yes it's better than nothing, but as insurance a 'soda can' alcohol stove is maybe a more convenient - and alcohol even easier to find than blowtorch cartridges.

I think you can use these with some of the gas hobs that have their own legs and a hose - although I seem to remember andrew_s saying that that depends on the type of stove as some will cope with the canister being on its side, while others won't.

Top Bottom