Buying Camping Gaz near Malaga airport

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jay clock

Massive member
I land at Malaga at 1330 on Monday. Does anyone know of anywhere with easy access that will sell the standard Camping Gaz screw on bottles. I do have another (better) stove but those bottles I cannot risk it with as they are hard to find.

My main aim is to avoid diverting miles, and to give myself the flexibility of being able to cook that night. I will be heading west towards Alhaurin and Yunquera

I am really after quite specific advice from anyone who knows the area rather than "try a hardware store" type of advice. A bit of a long shot, but who knows on here!

andym

Über Member
Decathlon?

http://www.decathlon.es/ES/andalucia-11555615/?dept=provincia-malaga

(You might even be able to use the website to check stock availability).

But it might be worth getting the Markill adapter

OP
OP
jay clock

jay clock

Massive member
Cheers Andy. As a worshipper at the Church of St Deckie I thought of this as soon as I typed the entry! AND there is one about 1km from the airport! It may be challenging dual carriageways but may well be the solution. The website says they stock the CV470 (double height) which will be ok.

That adapter looks good, but not probably easy to find tomorrow. I wish the other cartridges (Coleman type) were easier to find. In France I did not see any, even in Deckie which is why I am reverting to the CG one.

If I ever do a long tour where self catering is the main food I think i will have to buy one of the multifuel stoves.

OP
OP
jay clock

jay clock

Massive member
A little bit of thread resurrection here......only 5 years

Fantastic, I just searched Google for "camping shop Malaga" and found my OWN post from 2009! I am flying there on 1 November for a week of touring, ending up in Sevilla. As usual I will be writing it up on CrazyGuy (all my previous offerings are still available at www.crazyguyonabike.com/julian

In answer to my own question, Decathlon is easy to get to, but it would be good to know of a back up

bigjim

Legendary Member
A little bit of thread resurrection here......only 5 years

Fantastic, I just searched Google for "camping shop Malaga" and found my OWN post from 2009! I am flying there on 1 November for a week of touring, ending up in Sevilla. As usual I will be writing it up on CrazyGuy (all my previous offerings are still available at www.crazyguyonabike.com/julian

In answer to my own question, Decathlon is easy to get to, but it would be good to know of a back up
Going hill climbing then Jay. I was looking at Spain for a short tour but could not find anything that did not involve a lot of mountaineering. I will look forward to your report. I have booked a flight today for Porto and will ride down to Faro.
I use a gas adapter that allow me to utilise the long thin cartridges that you find everywhere as DIY shops as well as supermarkets and camping stores etc stock them. Plus they are the cheapest

andrew_s

Legendary Member
This adapter allows the use of the unthreaded Camping Gaz click-on canisters (CV300 etc,may or may not be the same as the now dead Markill adapter link above). These canisters are considerably commoner than threaded canisters in much of continental Europe.

You can also get adapters for the cheap picnic stove canisters which are widely available (this type, designed for this type of stove).
However, you should be warned that the canisters take their gas from the end of a pickup tube half way down one side of the canister, and if you use the canister upright, or on its side but the wrong side up, you'll get liquid gas coming out, and if you aren't using a remote canister/hose stove with a preheat loop, you'll get a big flare that might take off your eyebrows or set the porch of your tent alight. The cheapest suitable stove is the Karrimor Alpine (currently £17)
Adapters of types 3 and 2 make it reasonably obvious which way up a horizontal canister should be, but it's less apparent with type 1.
type 1
type 2
type 3

Last edited:

bigjim

Legendary Member
I've never had any problems with this
12998422124_345039d100_z.jpg

I'm sure it's fine but it's hard to believe that the adaptor forms a gas tight seal using 3 rubber bands!

I have read an account somewhere that says it doesnt always work - a certain amount of pressure sometimes needs to be manually applied - there are better versions - I did have one which I used in greece for a day before finding GAZ after arriving by air - carried it about for another 5yrs without using it and finally disintegrated in Sweden. A stove with a conventional "british/scandinavian thread and an adaptor for the blue camping gas click cartridge is all you need for most of the civilized world.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I have read an account somewhere that says it doesnt always work - a certain amount of pressure sometimes needs to be manually applied - there are better versions - I did have one which I used in greece for a day before finding GAZ after arriving by air - carried it about for another 5yrs without using it and finally disintegrated in Sweden. A stove with a conventional "british/scandinavian thread and an adaptor for the blue camping gas click cartridge is all you need for most of the civilized world.
I think we did this before, didn't we?
I couldn't find any of the click types last week in S Cevennes.

We've got an Edelrid adaptor so we can use the cheap, easy to find puncture gaz canisters. It works fine but you need to moisten the O ring seal when you screw it on or it can leak as the bit of escaping gas chills and hardens the rubber.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
We've got an Edelrid adaptor so we can use the cheap, easy to find puncture gaz canisters. It works fine but you need to moisten the O ring seal when you screw it on or it can leak as the bit of escaping gas chills and hardens the rubber.
Is it still safe to pack and travel en pannier, Dave, or do you need to be pretty careful how you stow it?

Top Bottom