Buying from U.K. - not made it easy have they !

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I have bought knitting wool from Scandinavia without any issue at all, it's just delivered in the normal way via some courier company. No forms to fill in, nothing any different to how it used to be except the postage is a bit more expensive than it used to be, I suppose to cover the cost of the paperwork at their end. BTW this is not cheap stuff, it is silk, alpaca and kid mohair blends. Cashmere I buy from a UK stockist.

silva

Über Member
What I asked was a service that does the same as my bank did: along internetbanking I bank transfer the euro's to the service that swaps them for pounds to then transfer them to the bank account of the one I wanted to pay.

From experience the DHL/FEDEX/UPS invoice typically arrives a few weeks after the item arrives, you've not off the hook yet.....

Most things arriving here from then UK are COD if they use the local post to execute the last leg, COD = our posty knocking on the door at 06:30hrs and asking for the exact money to cover the import taxes and admin fees..

Never needed to go through that ball ache you described above though and pretty sure that could have been avoided although it may be worth setting up an account with the major couriers, i found that helps in some cases.

Hope it all fits:ohmy:

Since my bank ceased to provide automatical euro to pound exchange, I became unable to pay something in the UK along bank transfer.
And since Paypal made mobile phone obligatory, also no option.
What other options are out there?
Is the paypal mobile phone thing you mention because of two-step authorisation? I have used that for a while but is it now obligatory? (I seem to remember reading something). It's no problem at all - I use a non smart bog standard PAYG mobile for that. No contract. So no problem - and in fact I like the security.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
I bought a some leather from Italy this year and didn't encounter any problems at all with delivery or having to pay extra charges.

The only problem I had was the time it took to deliver the item. Probably took 10 days longer to get it.

I buy quite a few things from the EU and like most not really a bother, I have been slated before for mentioning this and accused of 'it must be alright then as Shep bought something from Europe '. Funny old World.

silva

Über Member
Is the paypal mobile phone thing you mention because of two-step authorisation? I have used that for a while but is it now obligatory? (I seem to remember reading something). It's no problem at all - I use a non smart bog standard PAYG mobile for that. No contract. So no problem - and in fact I like the security.
Yes, that's the because.
And yes, it's obligatory.
I want to pay a bill for parts, not a phone.
I use computer and internet, that's it. That sufficed, until now, this silly mobile phone requirement.
In the end, my bank did exchange euro for GBP, then transferred those to the receivers account.
I now need to do these jobs myself.
1) buy GBP with euro's, ie an additional GBP bank account
2) transfer GBP to another GBP account.

silva

Über Member
To give a followup, I found another bank with an account that provides that currency conversion service that my bank ceased.
Couple weeks ago I made such account. Drawback it has a monthly fee, annually about 72 euro, quite a cost.
Since supply got wrecked and prices blown up by the governments' economical sabotage of past 2 years, I decided to not hesitate and hampster - I ordered 10 chainrings (apparently the available stock quantity) at Velosolo UK, as soon as they finally received a batch and placed for sale.
Normally, I have then a drivetrain parts stock to span 20 years.
Velosolo (very happy about them - always have been) already shipped them, though this time its possible that the government here will add a tax, as retaliation for Brexit. Velosolo warned about that. All together, the per chainring price is alot higher.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
CF6401C6-E9C2-4C2E-8D15-F287E683BA1F.jpeg

Top Bottom