Buying my first road bike, tips?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Beowulf46

Yeah I was looking at a Planet X one for £1400 but it had mechanical disc brakes.
Giant do a fairly good crosser called the TCX1 and that has raid brakes and comes in at just under a grand. Also Ava look at the Pinnacle Arkose Two and the Cube Cross Race all under a grand a a cent compromise between road/ off road. Hope this helps.

vickster

Legendary Member
Which Boardman? The CX? The aesthetics of the Boardmans don't do a lot for me, too grey (although the new red road bike looks quite nice)

OP
OP
RiflemanSmith

RiflemanSmith

Do you know what, this was the first bike I started to look before I moved on to the Sirrus, then it was a Claud Butler Sram red titanium, then it was some thing else I must have choosen about ten different bikes so far.
Definitley going for the Boardman though, I like the dark colour my Voodoo was just as drab.
Then maybe in the future I will get a roady.

What do mimals me when refering to roadies?

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Giant do a fairly good crosser called the TCX1 and that has raid brakes and comes in at just under a grand. Also Ava look at the Pinnacle Arkose Two and the Cube Cross Race all under a grand a a cent compromise between road/ off road. Hope this helps.

What are "raid" brakes?

I have a TCX1 and it has TRP CX9 brakes - mighty fine bike!

Do you know what, this was the first bike I started to look before I moved on to the Sirrus, then it was a Claud Butler Sram red titanium, then it was some thing else I must have choosen about ten different bikes so far.
Definitley going for the Boardman though, I like the dark colour my Voodoo was just as drab.
Then maybe in the future I will get a roady.

What do mimals me when refering to roadies?

I presume you mean MAMIL
Middle Age Men In Lycra

OP
OP
RiflemanSmith

RiflemanSmith

Thanks.

Beowulf46

What are "raid" brakes?

I have a TCX1 and it has TRP CX9 brakes - mighty fine bike!
Sorry mate it was a typo error meant to say road brakes and it was the
TRPCX9 brakes I was referring to. They are mighty fine brakes and I upgraded my cantis for these.

SpokeyDokey

Sorry mate it was a typo error meant to say road brakes and it was the
TRPCX9 brakes I was referring to. They are mighty fine brakes and I upgraded my cantis for these.

At risk of high-jacking the thread.

They are superb brakes, very powerful and a joy to use. I had problems with brake squeal with the standard road cartridges - finally solved by fitting Ashima 4 Function cartridges/blocks.

Beowulf46

At risk of high-jacking the thread.

They are superb brakes, very powerful and a joy to use. I had problems with brake squeal with the standard road cartridges - finally solved by fitting Ashima 4 Function cartridges/blocks.
Had the same problem mate especially with the front so really appreciated your post about the alternative pads, cheers

SpokeyDokey

Had the same problem mate especially with the front so really appreciated your post about the alternative pads, cheers

My fronts were atrocious - the backs produced an occasional chirp.

These also come with 2 spare pads so are very good value.

I set them up flat front and rear and they make absolutely no noise whatsoever.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ashima-v-brake-4-function-brake-shoes/

I emailed TRP and they were not really interested in my comments re the noisy road cartridges - they just said they were glad I found a cure!

I think they just fit them to give more pad choice for users of carbon rims.

I also have emailed Giant Technical (my bike is a TCX1 and these brakes are stock on it) 3 times and the ignorant sods have not replied once - my LBS is taking this up with them.

Top Bottom