Buying my first road bike, tips?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
That's not the bike you are buying? The spec says SRAM Apex gearing not Tiagra

helston90

Eat, sleep, ride, repeat.
and it's not a road bike- it's a fast hybrid/ flat bar road bike- don't be suprised by the look of disgust by road bike puritons when you try to say hello (in my experience).
Other than that nice bike!

lpretro1

Road bike will feel very twitchy if all you have ridden is mtb. The bars will also feel narrow - don't be tempted to go for bars which are too wide for you. Don't buy on line - you'll end up with wrong bike.

vickster

Legendary Member
I
and it's not a road bike- it's a fast hybrid/ flat bar road bike- don't be suprised by the look of disgust by road bike puritons when you try to say hello (in my experience).
Other than that nice bike!

I think you could argue that a £1600 carbon Sirrus is a road bike as you'll not be hurtling through forests on it, just not one with drop bars

But yes the mamils may not give you the time of day

When I first started looking for a road bike was looking for carbon frame. Every LBS I went to said the same thing "don't bother will low end carbon bikes". I was looking at spending around £1500 and the advise was to go higher end alloy framed bike.

For £1500 I think you can get something considerably better than "entry level". Nothing wrong with going further up but the bike shops would say that because they are a business, and therefore trying to make as much money as possible. I got a CR1 for £1600 which is great but the wheels it came with were GARBAGE!! Research the major components of the bike you intend to buy.

OP
OP
RiflemanSmith

RiflemanSmith

No no the bike I am buying is crap I was saying I was going to buy that bike and that you can buy really good carbon frame bike for £1500

OP
OP
RiflemanSmith

RiflemanSmith

I am getting a really cheap Viking http://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/product/40205/Viking_Roubaix_Bike_2011
I was going to buy the Spesh but I'll buy the Viking and spend the difference on stuff.

Chris Norton

A carbon frame bike for 400 quid! Either a great bargain or that frame is going to shatter the moment you hit one our countrys lovely pot holes at 25 miles an hour.

Although with a name like Roubaix you would hope that it tips it's hat to this weekends relaxing ride out in northern france over that smooth surface we all know as "cobbles".

What "stuff" do you want to spend on it?

OP
OP
RiflemanSmith

RiflemanSmith

A carbon frame bike for 400 quid! Either a great bargain or that frame is going to shatter the moment you hit one our countrys lovely pot holes at 25 miles an hour.

Although with a name like Roubaix you would hope that it tips it's hat to this weekends relaxing ride out in northern france over that smooth surface we all know as "cobbles".

What "stuff" do you want to spend on it?
It's not a great name Viking and the frame probably wont be all that as it is 12k carbon fibre but it has been reduced from over a grand, that is why I thought it is worth a punt at £400.

If the bike is not all that bad then I can spend the money on a decent set of wheels and tyres for it, set of pedals.

Cyclist33

It was on my Voodoo, I took off my nobblies and put on Schwarbe Marathon+ 700 x 32c, first ride came off.

Did you pump the M+s up to within their recommended pressure range? Running 700x32s at mountain bike pressure could have made the steering response rather squishy and it could well have slid around on a corner. If you get a puncture on a road tyre you'll see what I mean, as the pressure reduces to around 40/50psi the bike becomes very slippery up front.

Stu

Cyclist33

I

I think you could argue that a £1600 carbon Sirrus is a road bike as you'll not be hurtling through forests on it, just not one with drop bars

But yes the mamils may not give you the time of day

True. Funny how some people in lycra on road bikes will happily give you a nod, a chat or even a good lig about bikes at a rest break; while others stick their @sses out and their chins up and ignore you. I've come to realise that there are twotts and non-twotts in all walks of life, including cycling.

Stu

Cyclist33

For £1500 I think you can get something considerably better than "entry level". Nothing wrong with going further up but the bike shops would say that because they are a business, and therefore trying to make as much money as possible. I got a CR1 for £1600 which is great but the wheels it came with were GARBAGE!! Research the major components of the bike you intend to buy.

On the plus side, if they stint on wheels, then for £1600 it's likely the frame will be better.

I've decided that wheels are a right pain in the ****, because invariably you test-ride the bike with the stock wheels and buy based on that, but when it comes to upgrading, you're basically taking a punt at your given budget, and the ride quality changes dramatically from wheel to wheel but you won't know how until you've bought them, fitted and ridden them. By which time it's too late to send them back. Expensive risk to take!

I love my new Fulcrums and they are definitely faster and stiffer than the Wildcats I had, and lighter by a little bit, but feel strangely less exciting when accelerating, and less efficient when climbing (they're not, though). I also detest bladed spokes because of the whirr, but this is something I'm training myself to like!

Stu

Cyclist33

It's not a great name Viking and the frame probably wont be all that as it is 12k carbon fibre but it has been reduced from over a grand, that is why I thought it is worth a punt at £400.

If the bike is not all that bad then I can spend the money on a decent set of wheels and tyres for it, set of pedals.

Can I just offer one tiny bit of advice: don't buy that! Vikings are ok ish but as their aluminium bikes go for around the £200 mark I wouldn't expect much of their carbon.

Literally 100% of the expert advice is to get a good frame and worry about components when the stock ones wear out. Not the other way round. To add my personal testimony (and my budget is usually half what you were initially looking at), I got a Marin mtb and a Cannondale hybrid, both great frames and I haven't yet had to change the entry-level parts, sure they are probably not as slick or light as more pricey ones but they work. But both frames have a fantastic ride quality. You can't get that from a dirt-cheap frame.

What is the absolute max you would spend? I have a feeling you might get more enjoyment out of a great aluminium bike maybe like a Synapse Tiagra, which is £900, then spend £200 on a good entry-level wheelset like Shimano RS61 or Mavic Aksium Race. Don't get too hung up on carbon.

Stu

Top Bottom