Buying my first road bike, tips?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
Biggest likelihood of selling on eBay but you'll lose 10%

Beowulf46

Have you thought about getting a cyclocross bike? Decent compromise between MTB and road. I got one last year having been a mtbiker for years and have loved it.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Never thought about it like that. All I know is that my alex rims were as useful as a limp knob after 1200 miles. The spokes just would not stay tight and I ended up buying american classics. Cost a few hundred but those ****in alex wheels had to go so necessity overrode risk. To be honest I didnt notice any changes in handling or performance but then I never been officially timed. However they look nicer and am confident they wont start falling apart in the near future so I am happy enough.

Can you true disc wheels or wheels with bladed spokes?

If you mean bladed spokes as in trispoke wheels like a Hed 3 (or similar, Mavic iO) or the rather expensive MadFibre wheels with carbon spokes, no you can not true them. Nor can you true a disc wheel but then again, they shouldn't ever go out of true.

OP
OP
RiflemanSmith

RiflemanSmith

For some reason, almost all CX bikes have mechanical discs, are they more rugged or something?

This has hydraulics but 2k in the sale (very fancy groupset)

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/jamis/nova-pro-di2-2013-cyclocross-bike-ec041440
That is a very nice bike very tempting. I would have to buy that one on finance though if they had it in my size, maybe lucky they don't:rolleyes:
I don't think that they are I have only every had one bike, well my son's with mechanical disc brakes and they were not very good.

vickster

Legendary Member
What surfaces are you riding on? Don't really need a CX for summer road riding I'd say - nor indeed disc brakes

OP
OP
RiflemanSmith

RiflemanSmith

I like to ride the trails near me, after having disc brakes I wouldn't want to ride any thing else unless I had to.
I was going to buy a roadie and keep my hybrid for winter and off roading.
Now I am just going to get a better version of what I have.

vickster

Legendary Member
I don't think there's anything wrong with mechanical discs, given pretty much all CX bikes come with them. I'd want a carbon fork though, if nothing to increase comfort and keep the weight down a bit. Although, as I found not many bikes with discs have a carbon fork (although that was a flat bar bike) - did get one though so they do exist

Looks a good spec for £1000 http://www.evanscycles.com/products/pinnacle/arkose-three-2013-cyclocross-bike-ec039563

Probably not much point looking at bikes on special if you can't buy for 2 months anyhow

Top Bottom