Buying on-line?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

argonaut

Just wondered if it is a good idea or not to buy a full bike on-line and set it up myself :angry:

I would like to hear how other people have got on with doing this (there must be some). Also a good on-line dealer.

I know everyone is going to say LBS. It's just I've had a few problems with doing that.

Thanks in advance.

Danny

Legendary Member
Let me be the first to say "LBS" - if you most local bike shop isn't any good try another. A good bike shop will talk all this through with you, let you try out different bikes before you buy, and sort out any teething problems with the bike in the first year.

Unless you know exactly what you want to buy you run the risk of getting something that is the wrong size or specification for what you want to do.

Having said that, some online retailers who better than others. Thorn have a good reputation and seem to have a reasonable system for sizing you for a bike. They also offer a money back guarantee if you are not happy with your bike for any reason.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I would have no hesitation in buying a bike online....

BUT!

I know exactly the size I would want, seat-tube height, top tube length, stem length and bar width. If I did not, I would go to a shop and ride or at least sit on the bike to make sure the fit was right. Get that wrong and you will end up with an expensive machine that you hate.

gavintc

Guru
I have had warranty issues with my best bike. Without a friendly LBS, I think I would have been stuffed. So for me, the small additional cost is simply an extended insurance policy.

kyuss

Veteran
Bought my last 2 bikes (frame only) online and never had any problems. But like Smokin Joe I know exactly the dimensions I need for a good fit, and this is where an LBS can be handy. Nothing beats trying a bike out for size and buying online could be a risk unless you know exactly what you need. That said, the only bike I've ever bought that didn't fit perfectly came from the LBS (coming from MTB to my first road bike I realised after 6 months it was a bit too small).

Never had any problems with warranty returns either thankfully. My current good frame, bought from Chain Reaction had to go back and it was all sorted and back to me within a week. Compare that to the 4 weeks it took to get a chainset sorted through my LBS. Buying local brings no guarantees of quick efficient service as warranty returns are as much to do with the manufacturer as the retailer.

I can recommend Chain Reaction, Probikekit, and Cycling Bargains. Unfortunately, apart from Chain Reaction they seem to have very little in the way of complete bikes, but they are always my first port of call as the customer service from all 3 has been fantastic. I hear few bad things said about Wiggle as well.

If you're prepared to post stuff back if it goes wrong, are confident in setting it up yourself, know exactly the size you need and buy from reputable dealers buying online can be worth it.

Dannyg said:
Let me be the first to say "LBS" - if you most local bike shop isn't any good try another. A good bike shop will talk all this through with you, let you try out different bikes before you buy, and sort out any teething problems with the bike in the first year.

Unless you know exactly what you want to buy you run the risk of getting something that is the wrong size or specification for what you want to do.

Having said that, some online retailers who better than others. Thorn have a good reputation and seem to have a reasonable system for sizing you for a bike. They also offer a money back guarantee if you are not happy with your bike for any reason.

This isn't confined to online retailers, so be careful wherever you go would be my advice.

gkilner

I bought my bike online from Cycle Express, they give 10% off rrp, plus I managed to find a '10% off' voucher code by trawling the web.

Got the bike for £400, my local bike shop wanted £499 and wouldn't budge.

I didn't have any problems, had to attach the wheels and seat, attach the handlebars, put the mud guards on - I think that was everything.

I just read Cycle Express's and Ridgeback's sizing guide and it fits fine.

OP
OP
A

argonaut

Thanks for all your posts' guys. I have decided to build my own from scratch. Probaly buying gear that someone is selling due to a upgrade. After the problems I had at 3 LBS's I think this is my best option.

bonj2

if you're buying a frame online check it's not nicked.

but sounds a good plan, you can get exactly what you want and have fun building it

Top Bottom