Buying Secondhand Titanium

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Well .. we are back talking (£900) and he told me that he bought the bike a year ago secondhand, from the first owner who had bought it new in 2014, and it had been only lightly ridden.
He also sent me a lot more photos which has been helpful.
All looks okay, yes?
View attachment 652134

View attachment 652135

View attachment 652136

View attachment 652137

View attachment 652138

View attachment 652139

View attachment 652140

If YOU yourself have any doubts, then steer clear. If YOU think its ok and you really want it then buy it.

craigwend

Grimpeur des terrains plats

Paul_Smith SRCC

www.plsmith.co.uk
As others have alluded to ChangFai ; if you have any doubts I would recommend caution, you would not be the original owner so the frame warranty will not transfer over to you.

I'd ask for clarification on a few things, including the area I have highlighted with an arrow in the picture you provided. It looks like a weld with a tiny hole at the end; that's often what would be done to repair a crack that had started. In one of your other pictures you can see 'Eulogy' on the top tube. Potentially that's what it started life as with an integrated seat tube; when the crack started it was repaired and the frame was converted to a shorter traditional seat tube in effort to reduce the stress at the area where the frame had started to fail.

If my assumption turns out to be correct you are not buying an 'Effusion' but a 'Eulogy" that has been repaired and altered. As that frame was introduced in 2007 it's entirely possible that the repair may have been done a long time ago, along with the help of the alteration it may well last a long time; it looks like it has been done well. But; as the saying goes "caveat emptor"; yes I am basing my assumptions on a few photographs on a bike model that was before my time at Enigma; but I'd definitely be asking the seller for some clarification about its history.

If you do decide to walk away from this particular one I'd still have Enigma on my wish list as a brand; they have come a long way since 2006. Their 'signature' range which are made in Sussex are absolutely stunning; the craftsmanship is superb and in my opinion they have grown and evolved to now rival the very best I have seen from any of the high end 'titanium' and 'steel' frame builder's in the world 🌎

Attachments

• Weld clarification.jpg
    Weld clarification.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:

froze

Über Member
I would be very hesitant about buying a used bike with CF stays that can't be replaced; but in some instances they can be replaced, however the price to do so could cost more than the bike is worth. Replacing a CF fork is easy, the stays not so much. CF, depending on the mileage, will last on average 20 years, the bike is 8 years old, you have roughly 12 more years of use out of it. I personally wouldn't buy it.

Brace yourself for others screaming at me from what I said, but CF is not a long term life long lasting material, add on top of that the question comes up next is how long will the bonding last. Another reason I would not buy it.

But just my opinion, you do what you want.

OP
OP
ChangFai

ChangFai

@Paul_Smith SRCC
Sorry for the tardy reply, and I appreciate that post.
I did indeed walk away, and the bike has since been sold to someone else.
I saw those holes, but because there was one on the other side as well, I just presumed that was okay.
I have since decided that yes I do want a titanium bike, and I will most likely buy a new Planet X Spitfire.

@froze
Thanks.

Thanks to everyone that replied to this post, you all really helped me make that decision, which I am now very happy with.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I will most likely buy a new Planet X Spitfire.

A great choice. Planet X range of Ti are fabulously, well made frames.

I'm not sure what riding you do, but be aware that the Spitfire is an out and out road frame so doesn't have any bosses for mudguards or for pannier racks.

vickster

Legendary Member
It will be my summer bike.

I like riding my Croix De Fer in the winter.

Can the summer still not be wet in Scotland so mudguards useful?

OP
OP
ChangFai

ChangFai

craigwend

Grimpeur des terrains plats
Thanks, it was £1399 the last time I looked.
Their size guide puzzles me, I am 5ft9 and have always bought 54cm, but their size guide says I should be buying a 50 or 52.

I'm 5,9 and I've got a 'medium'? Hurricane.

I'm sure my Van Nich Euros (which is like a Spitfire) is a 52cm

vickster

Legendary Member
Thanks, it was £1399 the last time I looked.
Their size guide puzzles me, I am 5ft9 and have always bought 54cm, but their size guide says I should be buying a 50 or 52.

I think @ianrauk is that sort of height and has a PX Ti.
What measurement are they using for the 50/52? Your 54 will be the top tube. Theirs could be the seat tube instead. Check the geometry guide. The M has a 55cm TT, they do indeed use the seat tube measurement for sizing.
the special offer Spitfire is only in L or XL so too big

Last edited:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
What measurement are they using for the 50/52? Your 54 will be the top tube. Theirs could be the seat tube instead. Check the geometry guide. The M has a 55cm TT, they do indeed use the seat tube measurement for sizing.

I thought those numbers looked odd! I just checked the geometry chart and sure enough the size '54' has a 59 cm effective top tube size. They might be talking about the real top tube size?

I measured the real top tube and effective top tube sizes of my singlespeed bike's frame. The effective (horizontal) size is 58 cm but the sloping tube is actually just over 54 cm long.

sloping top tube.jpg

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I think @ianrauk is that sort of height and has a PX Ti.

Yep. I'm 5'9".
Both my Hurricane and Tempest frames are 55 along the top tube, (both PX medium) with a 100mm stem.

Last edited:
Top Bottom