Buying Secondhand Titanium

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Paul_Smith SRCC

www.plsmith.co.uk
They seem to be using the Seat Tube C-T as a size reference, the M/50cm has a 55cm C-C Effective top tube.

I do not know all the measurements of every component but I have composed a BikeCAD drawing based on what they have listed for you. As such it will not be 100% accurate but it may well be close enough to be of value as a comparison to your current set up. As you can see the frame 'stack' and 'reach' (547 & 382) matches as does the 550mm top tube, which will give a good indication when cross-referencing your bike fit measurements.
Planet X Spitfire 50cm 2022.jpg

Planet X Spitfire.jpg

I used BikeCAD Pro which you need to buy, but should you enjoy a playing around with this type of software there are two free versions, one is 'online only' but the one I'd recommend is the new 'free' version that like the 'Pro' is loaded directly onto a computer, (click for a link to the download page on their site) and compared to the online free version is far quicker.

I have added the drawing above to their design archive so you can upload and amend with your personal measurements. There are plenty of others you can use as a starting point if needed, or you can use one from their quick start menu and use that as a starting point instead. If the stand alone free version is the same as the Pro to add a design from the design archive select File-Open Design from BCAD file on the web-then past the URL from the file you have chosen from the BikeCAD design archive into the pop up box. There are plenty of useful you tube videos that may help, including a quick comparison of the free versions.

Last edited:

froze

Über Member
@Paul_Smith SRCC
Sorry for the tardy reply, and I appreciate that post.
I did indeed walk away, and the bike has since been sold to someone else.
I saw those holes, but because there was one on the other side as well, I just presumed that was okay.
I have since decided that yes I do want a titanium bike, and I will most likely buy a new Planet X Spitfire.

@froze
Thanks.

Thanks to everyone that replied to this post, you all really helped me make that decision, which I am now very happy with.

I think that Planet X Spitfire would be a great choice.

I'm a tightwad, I would save a few hundred and go with the Rival 22 if it were me, then later when something wears out or breaks go to Force depending on price. In some cases, Rival and Force won't be a whole lot of difference, like in the derailleurs, but the briftors could be dramatic uptick in price for the Force, no need to upgrade, just replace with Rival since Rival briftors are almost as good as Force anyways.

When I bought my Lynskey I got it with Shimano 105, the only part I upgraded before I took delivery was the rear derailleur to Ultegra, it only cost $35 more, so what the heck! I did upgrade two other items but they had nothing to do with Shimano 105; Lynskey had put on a low end FSA headset, so I had it upgraded to Cane Creek 110; and they had a Lynskey CF fork which I've always been leary of CF stuff so I upgraded the fork to a Enve 2.0 which was rated for use on a tandem and a 350 pound rider limit, instead of 240 pounds like the Enve 1.0 and probably most other forks are rated for, I only weigh 175 pounds, but I feel safer on a fork that is over engineered for my weight. What can I say? I'm weird! If any of the components should ever fail, I would probably stay with 105 briftors, stay with Ultegra rear derailleur, could switch the front from 105 to Ultegra, and stay with 105 brakes because they're just as good as the Ultegra and DA, just a bit heavier is all; probably go with UItegra bottom bracket. So there isn't much I would upgrade, especially in todays world where bike parts are becoming stupidly expensive. I don't race, I'm not counting grams, so for me the reliability and the cost of mostly 105 was fine.

Anyway, let us know how you like the bike, and how you have it equipped.

Can the summer still not be wet in Scotland so mudguards useful?

Love my Ti Tempest - I run it with chunky tyres and full guards. We got caught in the summer rain last week. Didn't stop for a good 50 miles. I couldn't have been wetter if I'd been swimming - but - the guards did keep all the crap off my kit unlike my summer bike pals.
The Tempest can do everything I need of a bike.

OP
OP
ChangFai

ChangFai

I have tried searching for the answer to this, and failed, so what is the difference between the Planet X Spitfire, and the Hurricane?

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
I have tried searching for the answer to this, and failed, so what is the difference between the Planet X Spitfire, and the Hurricane?

From a quick look at the specs: Spitfire is calliper brake, racier geometry, very much 'old school' tyre clearance of 25mm. Hurricane: disc brakes, endurance geometry, 30mm tyre clearance.

Paul_Smith SRCC

www.plsmith.co.uk
Not many brands have a traditional brake caliper model these days, I wouldn't mind betting that model will be updated. That said there is definitely a demand for more traditional traditional set up just like the Spitfire, but Planet X will know if that demand is enough to warrant retaining that model with that classic spec' in their range, I'd be pleasantly surprised if there was but I dare say they will be considering a disc version.

The Spitfire has a more classic 'Race bike' geometry and overall set up, versus the Hurricane which has more of modern 'Endurance bike set' up, so technically it is designed to offer a different riding experience with more versality, as craigwend has stated it has the facility to fit mudguards and a rear pannier rack to carry light luggage and understanbly a geometry that offers stability to cater for the weight of that luggage for example. I've morphed a BikeCAD drawing from from one to the other which may help to illustrate the differences in geometry, you can see that the Hurricane has a longer wheelbase, shallower head angle and higher bar height.

Planet X Hurricane to Spitfire.gif

Every bike is the sum of it's parts, but if we focus on the geometry and in attempt to try and reference what the differences actually translate to I have two Titanium bikes that are aimed at a similar riding experience to both those, my Van Nicholas Chinook being their Spitfire and my Van Nicholas Yukon the Hurricane, note both mine are older so in effect closer in many respects to the Spitfire, both having traditional brake calipers and less tyre clearance as a result.
For me comparing my two bikes would be this, I live in South London, Surrey; Box Hill is a common climb for me, I must have ridden it hundreds of times on a variety of bikes including these two. When I get to the bottom on my more focused Van Nicholas Chinook I am more inspired to attack it and try hard; even though these days that normally equates to me quickly going red, boss eyed then blowing up and crying for my mum :laugh:! In comparison on my more compliant Van Nicholas Yukon I'd just click down the gears and roll up the climb, for me it's less inspiring to push on into the higher effort ranges. That said, although it's not as quick as my Chinook when the mood so takes me my Yukon is still still quick enough for that mad half hour where I do try hard; for me that versality means that over time it has become my 'go to' bike.

I started that last paragraph with "for me", that's because the differences are often down to our own personal perception of course, a deal breaking difference to one may be insignificant difference to another and these perceptions as you'd expect will magnify the more you become 'ChangFai and machine in perfect harmony'. An analogy would be I don't play tennis, Andy Murray's tennis racket versus one half the price will probably feel so similar it will make no difference; yet if I played on a regular basis I may begin to not only increasingly notice but also appreciate and covet those differences.

If I had to get rid of one it would be the quicker set up bike, I'm 60 next year and I now cycle more for a sense of well being; I 'chill out' far more than 'work out'. When I bought these bikes I was 15 years younger and the ratio of 'chill out' versus 'work out' was much closer and I was still doing the occasional race and is exactly why I had both. These days my faster bike comes out when I ride with those riders who quicker than me on what we call our 'best bike Sunday' ride; I need every help keeping up with them on those days!

I personally believe the correct choice of bike is about being honest with yourself and what you really enjoy, occasionally the rider may have not have thought that through quite enough. For example, they may well say they have no intention of ever racing and as such choose an endurance bike over a more focused bike, yet they then chase Strava PB's and most rides are short distance high effort 'work outs', arguably for them a faster set up bike may have been a more appropriate choice. Vice versa applies of course, plus note I referenced my age, the older we get it's common that the 'tortoise and hare' equation becomes increasingly valid; a more compliant slower bike may well end up being quicker.

There is more to it than simply buying what you desire of course, like many things it's the sum of it's parts; as referencing my age alludes to. Using the example in the last paragraph above a rider may well conclude they desire a focused race bike as that is the style of bike that suits their style of riding, yet if they can't cope with that type of bike then that's where a more compliant set up may be more suitable.

Last edited:
Top Bottom