Buying Used Bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
I have thought about getting a road bike this way but how do I know I am not buying a nicked bike?
Ask for a receipt or proof of ownership. Talk to the seller, ask searching questions about the bike

Clearly refuse to meet in a pub carpark, ask for the serial number and check sites like bike register.

Use your judgement and common sense. If it looks too good to be true price wise (gauge previous sales prices on eBay etc), it probably is and move on to a bike that can be checked history wise

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I have thought about getting a road bike this way but how do I know I am not buying a nicked bike?

Ultimately you don't know, but you can minimise the risk on eBay by avoiding dodgy looking sellers who have not been members long, have poor feedback, or appear to sell nothing but bikes with vague descriptions.
I try to buy from sellers who also have a history of selling household items, and are long-time members with decent feedback. There's also a relationship between the type of bike and price and the chance of getting a bent one. Some types of bikes get stolen a lot more than others, and these are the ones to be most wary of. Some types are worth so little used there is not much profit to be made in selling stolen ones, so are safer buys.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Ask for proof of ownership or failing that ask if they have an old photo showing him and the bike .
You can always check the frame number to see if it comes up as stolen still not 100% I bet you a lot of people don't record the frame number.

vickster

Legendary Member
Ask for proof of ownership or failing that ask if they have an old photo showing him and the bike .
You can always check the frame number to see if it comes up as stolen still not 100% I bet you a lot of people don't record the frame number.
True, but someone who refuses to give the frame number to a potential buyer looks suspicious, so always ask if a receipt or proof of ownership isn’t available

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer

I reckon at least 90-95% of bike owners have no idea what their frame number is. A substantial proportion wouldn't even know where to find it. Ever had a look at stolen bike reports on one of those bike registration sites? I have, and the majority of them don't have any idea what their frame number was, so the chance of getting their bike back is virtually zero. We're not talking about £99 BSO's either, but a lot of high end stuff often costing £2/3/4k new!

vickster

Legendary Member
I reckon at least 90-95% of bike owners have no idea what their frame number is. A substantial proportion wouldn't even know where to find it. Ever had a look at stolen bike reports on one of those bike registration sites? I have, and the majority of them don't have any idea what their frame number was, so the chance of getting their bike back is virtually zero. We're not talking about £99 BSO's either, but a lot of high end stuff often costing £2/3/4k new!
No but you can ask them to look.
The point is a genuine owner will have no issue with doing so and passing to buyer in the knowledge that the bike won’t flag as stolen.
A regular bike thief will be reluctant to do so knowing the reason for asking. He (or she) won’t know that the hot bike in his thieving paws isn’t registered and will cut comms and move to the next unsuspecting punter. Scumbag will do the same if asked for a receipt or come up with a bunch of excuses as to why it’s not available (if in possession of any intelligence)

The poster was asking about roadbikes, presumably something fairly modern for a few hundred quid not a bso fished from a skip

vickster

Legendary Member
Handbags ready
Not really. Skippy doesn’t spend hundreds on a bikes so perhaps doesn’t feel a cautious belts and braces approach is necessary which is his prerogative.
The poster asked for what steps to take to avoid buying a stolen bike. Those were mine for the couple of times I’ve bought used. Similarly, when selling, I've had no issue providing as much info as I can

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Not really. Skippy doesn’t spend hundreds on a bikes so perhaps doesn’t feel a cautious belts and braces approach is necessary which is his prerogative.
The poster asked for what steps to take to avoid buying a stolen bike. Those were mine for the couple of times I’ve bought used. Similarly, when selling, I've had no issue providing as much info as I can

Totally agree

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer

At the prices I buy at, I don't consider my purchases risky, nor do I think there is much criminal profit to resell dodgy bikes. When I collect something covered with dirt and cobwebs with flat tyres and old lights full of leaky dead batteries in them, I know those bikes have been stored for years and not taken off the street. That said, I still wouldn't knowingly buy a bent one, and I have passed up the odd one because I didn't like something about the seller's wares for sale or their past feedback etc. I don't get too hung up on receipts and paper trails. If you are buying stuff that is 25 or 30+ years old, you are unlikely to be handed the original bill of sale and the owners handbook - even from the original buyer. I've got just one documented bike, from 1989. A lot can happen in those years; people move address, receipts get chucked out, bikes may change hands several times - and the more they slide into cheap hack territory, the less importance is placed on provenance.

vickster

Legendary Member
At the prices I buy at, I don't consider my purchases risky, nor do I think there is much criminal profit to resell dodgy bikes. When I collect something covered with dirt and cobwebs with flat tyres and old lights full of leaky dead batteries in them, I know those bikes have been stored for years and not taken off the street. That said, I still wouldn't knowingly buy a bent one, and I have passed up the odd one because I didn't like something about the seller's wares for sale or their past feedback etc. I don't get too hung up on receipts and paper trails. If you are buying stuff that is 25 or 30+ years old, you are unlikely to be handed the original bill of sale and the owners handbook - even from the original buyer. I've got just one documented bike, from 1989. A lot can happen in those years; people move address, receipts get chucked out, bikes may change hands several times - and the more they slide into cheap hack territory, the less importance is placed on provenance.
I dont think the poster @Mattk50 wants a 25 year old bike however...
any more than I would

Mattk50

MattK50
No, I don't want a 25 year old bike lol! I wouldn't know where to find my frame number either. Isn't it under the frame? I remember years ago I was told that thieves filed them down? Some useful advice, thanks. I'm itching to get a road bike to replace my trek hybrid. I wonder if they will be a lot cheaper on facebook when the people who bought them on a whim go back to work and never use them again!

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
No, I don't want a 25 year old bike lol! I wouldn't know where to find my frame number either. Isn't it under the frame? I remember years ago I was told that thieves filed them down? Some useful advice, thanks. I'm itching to get a road bike to replace my trek hybrid. I wonder if they will be a lot cheaper on facebook when the people who bought them on a whim go back to work and never use them again!
More than likely yes

Also cycle to work schemes but check the final payment has been made

vickster

Legendary Member
Under the bottom bracket usually. Could be on the receipt too

Top Bottom