Buying Used Bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I have got both my bikes through Ebay, plenty of choice to pick from. Just make sure you to plenty of research into sizing before buying.

I haven't purchased a brand new bike for 35 years, and don't intend to in future. I'd much rather pay 10p in the pound for my bikes than one pound in the pound! It leaves me with the other 90p in the pound still available for other things.
Mine have come from a mixture of eBay, face to face conversations about bikes, builders skips, dumped on the street, and being given unwanted examples in clear-outs.
There's good stuff and junk available via all the above sources. The trick is to be selective in what you buy and only get the sort of bikes you personally like riding. Obviously FOC stuff is different. You can take what's available in front of you or you can walk on by.....

Venod

Eh up
If you get to browse facebook, don't forget Yorkshire Cycling Sales, don't be put of by the title, I bought a bike from Oldham on there and sold one to a guy in Barnoldswick, he did insist it was still a part of Yorkshire though.

OP
OP
ruffers

ruffers

Veteran
If you get to browse facebook, don't forget Yorkshire Cycling Sales, don't be put of by the title, I bought a bike from Oldham on there and sold one to a guy in Barnoldswick, he did insist it was still a part of Yorkshire though.
Thanks very much

OP
OP
ruffers

ruffers

Veteran
How tall is she? An XL men’s hybrid or road will be for someone 6’2 or more!
Does she prefer road (drops?) or hybrid (presumably rigid fork)?

she’s just under 6ft, I have noticed some brands vary between l and XL. Doesn’t mind the drop bar or a hybrid, just if we see a nice one she likes, if that makes sense

vickster

Legendary Member
Maybe @biggs682 has something to post?

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Thanks @vickster i was just reading this thread
@ruffers bike sales are hard at the moment due to current situation i have withdrawn all the one's i had for sale as i can't risk taking a chance and coming into contact with it .
But there are some bargains out there for sure or at least there is locally to me in Northamptonshire .
I have a few bikes that i had up for sale and in amongst them this one https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/tec-road-bike-dedaccai-tubing-58cm.249851/ is the nearest to the required size although i thing this might be a bit on the large size there is also a 54cm Specialized tri cross which might be ok .
Others are older steel framed retro bikes

OP
OP
ruffers

ruffers

Veteran
Thanks @vickster i was just reading this thread
@ruffers bike sales are hard at the moment due to current situation i have withdrawn all the one's i had for sale as i can't risk taking a chance and coming into contact with it .
But there are some bargains out there for sure or at least there is locally to me in Northamptonshire .
I have a few bikes that i had up for sale and in amongst them this one https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/tec-road-bike-dedaccai-tubing-58cm.249851/ is the nearest to the required size although i thing this might be a bit on the large size there is also a 54cm Specialized tri cross which might be ok .
Others are older steel framed retro bikes

thanks very much for the detailed reply, at the moment I think your right we may have to be patient. Unfortunately your too far from us. Thanks again though for your help

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
thanks very much for the detailed reply, at the moment I think your right we may have to be patient. Unfortunately your too far from us. Thanks again though for your help

No problems re reply always here to help .
Also worth trying sphock and seeing what is on there . Just be cautious and careful .

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...

+1 for Yorkshire Cycling Sales on Facebook @ruffers . My son's training bike frame came from there, which we picked up near Manchester, along with lots of items I've bought/sold. A 'wanted' post would probably elicit decent items.

Mattk50

MattK50
Facebook market, can get some good deals if you are patient for the right one to pop up and quick to collect.
Ive had some right bargins from people that take it up then decide its not for them.

Not much about at the moment though
I have thought about getting a road bike this way but how do I know I am not buying a nicked bike?

Top Bottom