By gad Curuthers, the heat the dust the flies....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Bloody chilly this morning, grey, overcast...typical carp British ‘summer’.... where’s the sun!!!!

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
This morning's commute was a perfect 20'c. Overcast, but that beats rain. Or hail. Or snow. Or jumper temperatures.

Or in fact any of the things I associate with either "winter" or "bad weather".
After a week of 30C and above, this morning’s paltry 20C feels like the arctic!

Drago

Legendary Member
Sometimes ridiculous cycling products have their moment. I bought one of these having seen it ridiculed on this forum during the last really hot spell thinking it might be useful next time I dissolved into a blob of sweat climbing a hill in the heat. I didn't find it so good with a drop handlebar bike, but have used it while doing D-I-Y stuff in the garage and it actually does work. View attachment 541538
I actually charged it up with the intention of using it on the recumbent while on a ride out with the lad this evening but I er forgot. On part of the route this evening we came across a lot of tiny flies and it might just have stopped 15 minutes of coughing and spluttering after I inhaled some of them. It was certainly very humid and sticky this evening, and would have been a good test.
I remember 1976 with its hosepipe bans, water tankers, advice to wash your car in a stream (how would that go down nowadays?). Trips to Mid Wales to see long drowned ruins and walls exposed in the near-empty reservoirs there. The relentless heat with no rain for weeks. I don't think there is a real comparison with that year and what is happening now. Long hot spells were rare then, but short lived extremes of weather are increasingly common now.
I remember '76. Not a single cloud in the sky for the entire 6 week school holidays. 2018 approached it, but didn't get there by a reasonable margin.

'76 was great for us kids. Barely 4 hours of night where we were meant loonnngggg days playing. Indeed, that was the summer I broke my pelvis trying to break the sound barrier on a Raleigh Chopper, which earned me a free flight in an RAF helo to Hospital in Caithness. No standpipes for us, but old wells were opened up and pressed into service. Tarmac melting and roads disintegrating as lorries drover over them. The last few days have been a bit puny in comparison,

After a week of 30C and above, this morning’s paltry 20C feels like the arctic!
I think you need a new Forum ID:

1597396998192.png

Top Bottom