Bye Bye Bye .......... Delilah

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The shop keeper is great. He only charges me £5 a loaf more for my special top/bottom loaves than the ordinary loaves everyone else buys.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Which is exactly why I and so many others call it an OPEN sandwich?
My mother puts things on bread and refers to the result as 'open sandwiches'. It's an affectation - what it tells us is not that sandwichiness is an inherent property of the thing she is describing, but that telling it that way makes the stuff on the bread, and by implication her, appear more genteel. Think of it as analogous to the way that one person will refer to something that is clearly a sordid, ego-driven, controlling and misogynistic murder as a 'crime of passion' in order to dignify it as the tragedy of the teller.

My mother puts things on bread and refers to the result as 'open sandwiches'. It's an affectation - what it tells us is not that sandwichiness is an inherent property of the thing she is describing, but that telling it that way makes the stuff on the bread, and by implication her, appear more genteel. Think of it as analogous to the way that one person will refer to something that is clearly a sordid, ego-driven, controlling and misogynistic murder as a 'crime of passion' in order to dignify it as the tragedy of the teller.
It's vegetarian chilli con carne all over again.

Now that has confused the Danes

They thought that denying open sandwiches was eccentric, but comparing a national dish to a murder has them totally perplexed

The only way this could work is if your mother was a man!

Who did she / he murder?

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Now that has confused the Danes

They thought that denying open sandwiches was eccentric, but comparing a national dish to a murder has them totally perplexed

A nation whose national dish is The Open Sandwich is bound to be easily confused.

Top Bottom