Bye Bye Bye .......... Delilah

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
@Cunobelin

I hate to use a Wiki link as a source

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Provocation_in_English_law

As I stated earlier, provocation is simply a mitigatory defence to lower a murder charge. And, does NOT apply to any other defence.

So like you say, we don't know if he even stabbed, or killed her. But, if you believe provocation to be a legal issue in the song, then you must also believe that there was a killing in the story.

But that would simply lower murder to manslaughter.

However, Provocation doesn't really exist anymore. Since that was abolished and replaced with "loss of control". That is actually well defined in the Coroners and Justice Act 2009
http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2009/25/section/54

is not to be convicted of murder if—

(a)D's acts and omissions in doing or being a party to the killing resulted from D's loss of self-control,

(b)the loss of self-control had a qualifying trigger, and

(c)a person of D's sex and age, with a normal degree of tolerance and self-restraint and in the circumstances of D, might have reacted in the same or in a similar way to D.

The bit in bold is I believe the critical part they will need to believe. Would a person of normal tolerance and self-restraint ALSO stab the woman who has deceived him?

From section 55
http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2009/25/section/55

(6)In determining whether a loss of self-control had a qualifying trigger—

(a)D's fear of serious violence is to be disregarded to the extent that it was caused by a thing which D incited to be done or said for the purpose of providing an excuse to use violence;

(b)a sense of being seriously wronged by a thing done or said is not justifiable if D incited the thing to be done or said for the purpose of providing an excuse to use violence;

(c)the fact that a thing done or said constituted sexual infidelity is to be disregarded.

If this was infidelity, this act removes it as a trigger. So in other words, IF Delilah had committed infidelity. The law does NOT consider this to be a qualifying defence for "Loss of Control"

Finally, we'll finish with Section 56
http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2009/25/section/56
(1)The common law defence of provocation is abolished and replaced by sections 54 and 55.

There is your final statement that provocation is abolished.

I look forward to your response to these, as I believe that all this conclusively proves that provocation is no longer a defence, and it's replacement loss of control, does NOT apply to infidelity.

Over to you @Cunobelin

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
I think a Welsh rarebit exists in the intersection of the sets of 'sandwiches (open)' , 'cheese on toast', and 'artery clogging'...
^ Cunobelin thinks it's a sandwich.

[QUOTE 4147681, member: 45"]This is an episode of the Mighty Boosh. Please tell me we're not arguing the legal background to the events in a song.....[/QUOTE]

Certainly not! The argument is about an imaginary law that was abolished a long time a go.

U

User482

That would be a toastie or, for middle class types, a panino.

Or as my local café has it, "Panini's".

Anyway, I do think that the Danish sweet pickle goes nicely with sour dough rye bread.

The English translation is incorrect. Let me give you a clue:

Smør = buttered
Brød = bread

They still disagreed.... and the clue is that the bread is buttered to prevent the filling seeping into the bread. The opinion is that you seem to have missed he rest of the stages of preparation

You do seem to be in a minority, as a quick google doesn't seem to share your opinion

Not only do the Danish and Norwegians disagree you have a lot of Scandinavian sites that you may want to take this up with:

The Collins English Dictionary - "small open savoury sandwiches", you may also want to correct them
You will also need to take it up with "Visit Copenhagen" - literally spread bread, or open faced sandwich
All Scandinavia - There's no doubt that Denmark's open sandwiches called Smørrebrød are the most famous feature of the Danish kitchen.
Visit Denmark - Young Danish chefs have breathed new life into the famous open sandwich, Smørrebrød

I think that the clues are there, and you have a lot of writing to do to danish companies and dictionary publishers

@Cunobelin

I hate to use a Wiki link as a source

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Provocation_in_English_law

As I stated earlier, provocation is simply a mitigatory defence to lower a murder charge. And, does NOT apply to any other defence.

So like you say, we don't know if he even stabbed, or killed her. But, if you believe provocation to be a legal issue in the song, then you must also believe that there was a killing in the story.

But that would simply lower murder to manslaughter.

However, Provocation doesn't really exist anymore. Since that was abolished and replaced with "loss of control". That is actually well defined in the Coroners and Justice Act 2009
http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2009/25/section/54

is not to be convicted of murder if—

(a)D's acts and omissions in doing or being a party to the killing resulted from D's loss of self-control,

(b)the loss of self-control had a qualifying trigger, and

(c)a person of D's sex and age, with a normal degree of tolerance and self-restraint and in the circumstances of D, might have reacted in the same or in a similar way to D.

The bit in bold is I believe the critical part they will need to believe. Would a person of normal tolerance and self-restraint ALSO stab the woman who has deceived him?

From section 55
http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2009/25/section/55

(6)In determining whether a loss of self-control had a qualifying trigger—

(a)D's fear of serious violence is to be disregarded to the extent that it was caused by a thing which D incited to be done or said for the purpose of providing an excuse to use violence;

(b)a sense of being seriously wronged by a thing done or said is not justifiable if D incited the thing to be done or said for the purpose of providing an excuse to use violence;

(c)the fact that a thing done or said constituted sexual infidelity is to be disregarded.

If this was infidelity, this act removes it as a trigger. So in other words, IF Delilah had committed infidelity. The law does NOT consider this to be a qualifying defence for "Loss of Control"

Finally, we'll finish with Section 56
http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2009/25/section/56
(1)The common law defence of provocation is abolished and replaced by sections 54 and 55.

There is your final statement that provocation is abolished.

I look forward to your response to these, as I believe that all this conclusively proves that provocation is no longer a defence, and it's replacement loss of control, does NOT apply to infidelity.

Over to you @Cunobelin

What defence?

The question was as to whether her actions could amount to an offence....

fimm

Veteran
You do realise that I've had "Delilah" as an earworm all day? Just the "Why, why, why... bye, bye, bye" bit, which is the only bit I know. I didn't even know what the song was about (or indeed that it is sung by Welsh rugby fans) until this thread...

U

User482

They still disagreed.... and the clue is that the bread is buttered to prevent the filling seeping into the bread. The opinion is that you seem to have missed he rest of the stages of preparation

You do seem to be in a minority, as a quick google doesn't seem to share your opinion

Not only do the Danish and Norwegians disagree you have a lot of Scandinavian sites that you may want to take this up with:

The Collins English Dictionary - "small open savoury sandwiches", you may also want to correct them
You will also need to take it up with "Visit Copenhagen" - literally spread bread, or open faced sandwich
All Scandinavia - There's no doubt that Denmark's open sandwiches called Smørrebrød are the most famous feature of the Danish kitchen.
Visit Denmark - Young Danish chefs have breathed new life into the famous open sandwich, Smørrebrød

I think that the clues are there, and you have a lot of writing to do to danish companies and dictionary publishers

1. Smørrebrød is, literally, "buttered bread" and not "open sandwich".
2. It is not a sandwich.

HTH.

I don't know if this helps but the verb form of the word Sandwich doesn't include a huge element of "lie on top of".
Most likely because we're using an incorrect translation between local cuisine and our nearest equivalent.

As in bocadillo does not directly translate to sandwich but it;'s our closest equivalent.

What defence?

The question was as to whether her actions could amount to an offence....

Fro the Public Order Act
4Fear or provocation of violence.
(1)A person is guilty of an offence if he—

(a)uses towards another person threatening, abusive or insulting words or behaviour, or

(b)distributes or displays to another person any writing, sign or other visible representation which is threatening, abusive or insulting,

with intent to cause that person to believe that immediate unlawful violence will be used against him or another by any person, or to provoke the immediate use of unlawful violence by that person or another, or whereby that person is likely to believe that such violence will be used or it is likely that such violence will be provoked.

(2)An offence under this section may be committed in a public or a private place, except that no offence is committed where the words or behaviour are used, or the writing, sign or other visible representation is distributed or displayed, by a person inside a dwelling and the other person is also inside that or another dwelling.

Do you believe that somebody taunting, or laughing at you. Will cause you to believe that immediate unlawful violence will be used?

Even your own source seems to disagree with your conclusions when dealing with provocation as an offence.

Top Bottom