Bye bye Cavendish

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Bizarre comments being attributed to Kristoff by the Beeb. Yes he went for a gap that wasn't there but a deliberate crash ? That takes some imagination.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cycling/28203755

The trouble is, that Cav does have form for deliberately barging across into other riders. So I was pleased that this time he did apologise and admit it was entirely his fault, to avoid those sorts of accusations.

Cav has always been 'committed' but recently there have been a few occasions were I thought he's been reckless verging on malicious. I think Kristoff has a point, he's perhaps expressed it to strongly and too accusatory but there's truth behind it.

I don't think Cav's career is over but perhaps his best is behind him and he's being eclipsed by some rising stars such as Kittel. Even his manager came out and said, in different words, that he thought he had two years left as a top sprinter.

Saying that I love seeing him win and he's still one of my favourite riders.

AndyRM

XOXO
I don't think Cav's career is over but perhaps his best is behind him and he's being eclipsed by some rising stars such as Kittel. Even his manager came out and said, in different words, that he thought he had two years left as a top sprinter.

I saw an interesting Tweet from a reader of L'Equipe this morning

BsAs1r9IAAAs_Db.jpg

oldroadman

Veteran
Look at the overhead shots. Coquard moves into Gerrans, he has nowhere to go, Cav is going for a gap and moves a bit left, desparate to get the win on stage 1 which OPQS would want. Doing his job. gerrans in a sandwich, handlebars clash with Coquard's. Gerrans in impossible situation as is Cav.
If anyone is a cause, Coquard has a share of that, but as I see it, a racing incident between highly committed sprinters which went wrong big style. Another time they would have fallen, rolled, grazed, and fought another day. The injury was really bad luck, but that's always a risk when you are a potential stage winner and a target for all the other fast men. It's really good to be a domestique, have done your job, and be able to sit back and not be involved!
The other interesting thing is Froome in 6th., what was he doing there, kept near the front by the team and taking a little chance to show himself early?

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Out of interest ... assuming the "6 weeks" is "6 weeks back to racing" and not "6 weeks back to being able to train", would he ride the Vuelta? Was he lined up to do this? Or is his training so geared to the TdF that his season is now done for.

He won the Vuelta points jersey a few years ago, didn't he.

Not sure how delighted Cav would be to ride the Vuelta. If you read Wegelius' book, he says that the Vuelta is not popular amongst the top riders and is mostly ridden by the reluctant.
I think he will target the Tour of Britain, which gets bigger and better every year.

jazzkat

Fixed wheel fanatic.
I'm no surgeon but when they said it wasn't a break I said to my wife that it would have been better to be broken and that he'd be out for longer now.
With a break they'd plate it and he be back out on his bike in no time.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
From Twitter a few hours ago

Just woken up after surgery on my shoulder... TV straight on to see how @opqscyclingteam is getting on. Come on lads!
BsGwXKoCYAE7iOt.jpg

Top Bottom