C2C Cycleway Consett to Chain Bridge.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wyre forest blues

Über Member
5 of us are doing the C2C (and return) in June on road bikes and I have meticulously and tediously checked the route against the quality of roads from Workington to Tynemouth using Google maps street view. However street view does not go along footways. Between Consett and the Tyne at what I believe is called the chain bridge is the NCN14, a lengthy footway that appears to partially follow a disused railway line. Can anyone advise of the suitability of this footway for road bikes.
Thanks in advance.

theloafer

Legendary Member
these guys could let you know https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/c2c/

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
NCN 14 from just outside Consett to the Tyne is ridable on a road bike.

Not sure what you mean by 'chain bridge', but when you reach the south bank of the Tyne you can pop over on one of several bridges - the Blinking Eye bridge at Gateshead is probably as good - and interesting - as any.

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
NCN 14 from just outiside Consett to the Tyne is ridable on a road bike.

Not sure what you mean by 'chain bridge', but when you reach the south bank of the Tyne you can pop over on one of several bridges - the Blinking Eye bridge at Gateshead is probably as good - and interesting - as any.

Thought you were a local @Pale Rider ! The "chain bridge" was the old Scotswood Bridge. As in the song "Blaydon Races" - "we was gannan doon to the chain bridge & the bus wheel flew off there!"

It's a while since they replaced the chain bridge though :smile:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Thought you were a local @Pale Rider ! The "chain bridge" was the old Scotswood Bridge. As in the song "Blaydon Races" - "we was gannan doon to the chain bridge & the bus wheel flew off there!"

It's a while since they replaced the chain bridge though :smile:

Steady on, I'm more of a mackem than a takem.

I believe the approach is still called Chain Bridge Road.

The OP will be on the riverside path/Keelman's Way which is easy enough to follow to the Blinking Eye bridge.

There is one road crossing which involves a right and immediate left, but I'm sure it has blue cycle route signs.

OP
OP
wyre forest blues

wyre forest blues

Über Member
I just read that the chain bridge was replaced by the Scotswood bridge which is the one I plan on crossing. There is a cycle path over the bridge from near the NCN14 which then appears to follow the Tyne to Tynemouth on route 72.

Is the surface of the NCN14 predominately tarmac, gravel or ?

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
I've ridden it twice on a road bike - the last time was 2 years ago on 23mm tyres.

It's a bit bumpy in places due to tree roots but perfectly rideable.

Top Bottom